~alpine/users

3 2

Zlib vulnerability CVE-2023-45853 in 3.18.3 and 3.18.4

Alekh Kanubothula (Nokia) <alekh.kanubothula@nokia.com>
<DB9PR07MB725758A2D23F77F17C1D96B6EADBA@DB9PR07MB7257.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com>
Hi ,

Recently we found vulnerability related to zlib in 3.18.3 and 3.18.4. These two versions are almost latest versions. Could you please let us know by when a new version will get released with the zlib patch ?

Thanks,
Alekh
<20231020105006.151d0e30@ncopa-desktop.lan>
In-Reply-To
<DB9PR07MB725758A2D23F77F17C1D96B6EADBA@DB9PR07MB7257.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:12:04 +0000
"Alekh Kanubothula (Nokia)" <alekh.kanubothula@nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Recently we found vulnerability related to zlib in 3.18.3 and 3.18.4.
> These two versions are almost latest versions. Could you please let
> us know by when a new version will get released with the zlib patch ?

Hi,

This vulnerability is in contrib/minizip.
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-45853

The fix also confirms that this is a problem in contrib/minizip/zip.c:
https://github.com/madler/zlib/commit/73331a6a0481067628f065ffe87bb1d8f787d10c

To my knowledge we never built this binary or shipped it in any package,
ever, so there is nothing to for us to fix.

https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/contents?file=minizip&path=&name=&branch=edge

Thanks!

-nc
lauren n. liberda <lauren@selfisekai.rocks>
<619DE186-52B3-4768-9D93-72AC9DC693EE@selfisekai.rocks>
In-Reply-To
<20231020105006.151d0e30@ncopa-desktop.lan> (view parent)
we do, it is a dependency of a few packages, including chromium
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages?name=minizip&branch=edge&repo=&arch=&maintainer=

there also is a fork of it packaged, I think this should be checked too, but that's in testing
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages?name=minizip-ng&branch=edge&repo=&arch=&maintainer=

--
lauren n. liberda
it/she

minizip-ng diverged a lot from the upstream minizip, patch does not
apply. nothing in aports seems to depend on it yet, so not much of a
worry. waiting for a response from them.

--
lauren n. liberda
https://liberda.nl/