~alpine/users

4 3

[alpine-user] Squashfs root filesystem

Lars-Erik Helander <lehswe@icloud.com>
<DE57F37A-E9CE-43F1-ABBA-AB0305822831@icloud.com>
Is it possible to configure boot to run alpine using a read-only mounted squashfs file?

The mkinit code seems to include some squashfs support, but I can not figure if that could be used for my purpose.

/Lars

Skickat från min iPhone

---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-user+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-user+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FTppeSCuny0hsiosMvn42Acj+udvza_A3a4NTapMypHoQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<DE57F37A-E9CE-43F1-ABBA-AB0305822831@icloud.com> (view parent)
that its a great idea! we could have a saved squasfs root alpine and
bottstrap when make a packaging.. so we could emulate the behaviour of the
suse open build engine service

seems the mkinit does are not enought

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

El vie., 7 de jun. de 2019 a la(s) 06:40, Lars-Erik Helander (
lehswe@icloud.com) escribió:

> Is it possible to configure boot to run alpine using a read-only mounted
> squashfs file?
>
> The mkinit code seems to include some squashfs support, but I can not
> figure if that could be used for my purpose.
>
> /Lars
>
> Skickat från min iPhone
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-user+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-user+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FQ8siPtM-kTW9KtRg5UVuZsMkxp4PszRVLF4=9RHkmBFA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<f85403e8-c34e-d0d5-0336-aaa4078bb2aa@h6g.de> (view parent)
gr4eat, thanks for the hints

El vie., 7 de jun. de 2019 a la(s) 10:27, Paul Zillmann (p.zillmann@h6g.de)
escribió:

> [...]

     - mount a tmpfs
     - mount an overlayfs as the new root, lower dir would be squashfs,
upper dir is the tmpfs
The scipt is located at /usr/share/mkinitfs/initramfs-init
Important parts at this section is "nlplug-findfs" and "exec
/bin/busybox switch_root" to exit the initramfs into the bootet system.
(You can replace the code in lines 479-490 as present in the linked
repository)

Don't forget do add the squashfs and overlayfs Kernel modules into the
initramfs, then regenerate the initramfs.

You should also take a look into the Alpine Netboot which uses modloop
instead of squashfs.

1: https://git.alpinelinux.org/mkinitfs/tree/initramfs-init.in#n455

- Paul

> The mkinit code seems to include some squashfs support, but I can not figure if that could be used for my purpose.

---
<261DA982-9DC8-48F2-99C3-16953A511A3F@icloud.com>
In-Reply-To
<f85403e8-c34e-d0d5-0336-aaa4078bb2aa@h6g.de> (view parent)
Hi Paul,

thank you very much for the hints :)

/Lars

Skickat från min iPhone

> 7 juni 2019 kl. 16:27 skrev Paul Zillmann <p.zillmann@h6g.de>:
>
> Hello Lars-Erik,
>
>> Am 07.06.19 um 12:40 schrieb Lars-Erik Helander:
>> Is it possible to configure boot to run alpine using a read-only mounted squashfs file?
>
> Yes it is, supposing the Kernel and initramfs are not part of the squashfs file.
> Take a look at [1] if the Kernel arguments work for you.
>
> Otherwise you can modify the init script here:
>     - mount the fs where the squashfs lies
>     - mount the squashfs
>     - mount a tmpfs
>     - mount an overlayfs as the new root, lower dir would be squashfs, upper dir is the tmpfs
> The scipt is located at /usr/share/mkinitfs/initramfs-init
> Important parts at this section is "nlplug-findfs" and "exec /bin/busybox switch_root" to exit the initramfs into the bootet system. (You can replace the code in lines 479-490 as present in the linked repository)
>
> Don't forget do add the squashfs and overlayfs Kernel modules into the initramfs, then regenerate the initramfs.
>
> You should also take a look into the Alpine Netboot which uses modloop instead of squashfs.
>
> 1: https://git.alpinelinux.org/mkinitfs/tree/initramfs-init.in#n455
>
> - Paul
>

>> The mkinit code seems to include some squashfs support, but I can not figure if that could be used for my purpose.
>>
>> /Lars
>>
>> Skickat från min iPhone
>>

>> ---
>> Unsubscribe:  alpine-user+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org