Subject: [alpine-user] LAMP setup

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 17:50:44 +0000

I'm new to alpine and am planning to set up a dedicated LAMP on it. Is there anything I should know going into it that differs greatly from setting it up on an Ubuntu machine for which I have practical experience?

---

From: Chloe Kudryavtsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 14:54:11 -0500

Hi,

> I'm new to alpine and am planning to set up a dedicated LAMP on it. Is there anything I should know going into it that differs greatly from setting it up on an Ubuntu machine for which I have pract…

Alpine has two large (technical) differentiating details from Ubuntu.
1. We use the musl libc instead of glibc.

This should not mean much in your use-case, since Apache, MySQL and PHP 
are all available.

2. We use openrc instead of systemd/sysv/upstart (and so on).

This *will* affect you, but it should not be particularly significant.
It basically means that enabling/disabling/starting/stopping services 
will work a bit differently.
However, such basic usage is quite simple, and you should not have any 
particular problems.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 21:14:25 -0400

ummm sorry but there-s too much differences beetween winbutu to alpine

if you apt instal apache phpmyadmin
in winbutnu quickly you have inmmediatelly at localhost/phpmyadmin the
result

in apine not all are like that! due alpine it-s more like old school debian
was
and that's i love it

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

El sáb., 2 de mar. de 2019 a la(s) 15:54, Chloe Kudryavtsev
([email-masked]) escribió:

> > I'm new to alpine and am planning to set up a dedicated LAMP on it. Is
> there anything I should know going into it that differs greatly from
> setting it up on an Ubuntu machine for which I have practical experience?
>

---

From: Marco Dickert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 09:38:33 +0100

On 2019-03-02 21:14:25, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> in apine not all are like that!

Well, I understand your point, but you choose a very bad example to argue:

$ apk add apache2 php7-apache2 phpmyadmin
[...]
* If you use apache2:
*     1) Change the ownership of the config directory:
*            chown -R apache:apache /etc/phpmyadmin
*     2) See if you need to modify the apache2 config:
*            /etc/apache2/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf
*     3) Restart apache2 when done.
*
OK: 524 MiB in 321 packages
$ chown -R apache:apache /etc/phpmyadmin
$ /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

This works instantly^^

Cheers,
Marco
-- 
Marco Dickert
[email-masked]
https://misterunknown.de

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:32:47 -0430

not!  /etc/apache2/conf.d/ are deprecated! a common mistake if you are
not close to system changes respect upstream projects.. another
inheritcs by using windo-like distributions

also there's no need to change ownershiop of the conf file.. system
must own the changes and users only must "use" ... the "apache" user
must not have access to system files, that are a security misctake
inherits from "muti-vendor" sites how to..

---

---

From: Marco Dickert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 09:36:08 +0100

On 2019-03-04 12:32:47, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> not!

I just tried it on my local alpine edge machine. It works.

> /etc/apache2/conf.d/ are deprecated!

At least the alpine default configuration includes it...

> also there's no need to change ownershiop of the conf file..

Changing the group would be sufficient, but /etc/phpmyadmin is not readable by
others, because it may contain server credentials. So I guess it would be better
to change the postinstall hint to:

$ chgrp -R apache /etc/phpmyadmin
$ chmod -R g+w /etc/phpmyadmin

> system must own the changes and users only must "use" ... the "apache" user
> must not have access to system files, that are a security misctake inherits
> from "muti-vendor" sites how to..
> 

-- 
Marco Dickert
[email-masked]
https://misterunknown.de

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 08:03:29 -0400

> At least the alpine default configuration includes it...

deprecated means that works for a while.. later does noT

> $ chmod -R g+w /etc/phpmyadmin

that's better but i prefer admins must know what must be done manually