~alpine/users

4 4

your installer is not very intuitive for manual drive setup

<MhVKJCm--3-2@tutanota.com>
hello, I was interested in trying out Alpine today as I'd heard it had superior security
but I got hung up with trying to configure a manual partition I had set up for GRUB

I'd selected a "data" method as I wanted everything to be loaded to RAM...
but when warned if I wanted to format my MBR setup I had 2 OSs and a free EXT4 partition pre-configured for Alpine on...
I chose "n" and it just quit rather than allowing me to manually assign partitions...

I was expecting a prompt for manual partitioning and assignment similar to how Void handles things.

I'd send a visual to follow for how I usually pre-partition my drives, but you guys seem to not accept png attachments...
...so I'll just do this instead:

MBR (msdos): [swap] reserved [ext2][ [ext4 Alpine][ext4 Void] reserved ][ext4 Recovery]

sda1 (swap): 4 GiB
reservedsda2 (ext2): 512 MiB (Recovery boot/)
sda4 (extended):sda5    (ext4): 50 GiB Alpine (empty /)
sda6    (ext4): 50 GiB Void (Void Linux /)
reserved
sda3 (ext4): 30 GiB Recovery (Void Linux /)

your wiki is also not well structured for helping me set this up as such...

PS: how come you guys don't offer a better form of contact than IRC or Twitter...
such as XMPP or at least Matrix??

--
Sent with Tutanota, the secure & ad-free mailbox.
<20210822143829.xhclgqtwiehezvsn@mail.wolfsden.cz>
On 2021-08-19 23:33:27 +0200, tcll5850@tutanota.com wrote:
> PS: how come you guys don't offer a better form of contact than IRC or Twitter...
> such as XMPP or at least Matrix??

What is wrong with IRC? Not sure what XMPP buys you on top of it in the
context for this usage...

W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Other contact than IRC [was: Re: your installer is not very intuitive for manual drive setup]

<36436f3ba82fd2f350ca884a66d6a56d@jmt.gr>

On 2021-08-19 23:33, tcll5850@tutanota.com wrote:
> PS: how come you guys don't offer a better form of contact than IRC or
> Twitter...
>
> such as XMPP or at least Matrix??

Sorry I can't help with the installer script as I didn't use it once,
but #alpine-linux is hosted on OFTC, which is, like most of the major
IRC
networks, bridged to Matrix. You can join
#_oftc_#alpine-linux:matrix.org
via Matrix: https://matrix.to/#/#_oftc_#alpine-linux:matrix.org

cu,
jo
<MhkqhVl--3-2@tutanota.com>
In-Reply-To
<20210822143829.xhclgqtwiehezvsn@mail.wolfsden.cz> (view parent)
well, to state things quickly...

XMPP does everything Matrix does, 10x better than Matrix
IRC only does roughly 10% of what Matrix does, and is much less secure (encryption pretty much doesn't exist)
for example, both XMPP and Matrix offer federation, though Matrix relies heavily on matrix.org for some reason...IRC doesn't federate afaik.

both XMPP and Matrix also offer text styling and up to embedded content, unlike IRC afaik.

as for resolving issues or whatever with discussion
images can greatly help describe an issue to resolve it much quicker. ;)

--
 Sent with Tutanota, the secure & ad-free mailbox.

Aug 22, 2021, 10:38 AM by wolf@wolfsden.cz:

> On 2021-08-19 23:33:27 +0200, tcll5850@tutanota.com wrote:
>
>> PS: how come you guys don't offer a better form of contact than IRC or Twitter...
>> such as XMPP or at least Matrix??
>>

> What is wrong with IRC? Not sure what XMPP buys you on top of it in the
> context for this usage...
>
> W.
>
> --
> There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
> cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Jakub Jirutka <jakub@jirutka.cz>
<e5e922d8-30b6-ef6c-5d5d-293fbf0eba8b@jirutka.cz>
In-Reply-To
<MhkqhVl--3-2@tutanota.com> (view parent)
> XMPP does everything Matrix does, 10x better than Matrix

I’m sorry to tell you that, but XMPP is de-facto dead for many years already. I don’t like it either, but it’s a fact and it doesn’t look like it’s going to change. IRC is still alive, despite being an ancient crap with extremely limited feature set in comparison with XMPP or any other modern protocols. Matrix seems to be the only truly open and federated protocol/network for (not just) instant messaging that is quite used at least in tech communities. That’s quite sad. If you don’t need federated protocol, then Signal.

However, it’s still niche; majority of people communicate via platforms primarily developed for selling ads and invading user privacy, such as Messenger or WhatsApp. There’s also Telegram which is not bad, but it’s a closed network with proprietary server.

Yeah, we live in crappy world that is moving back to proprietary m̶a̶i̶n̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ clouds because it’s more profitable.

Jakub

On 8/23/21 4:33 AM, tcll5850@tutanota.com wrote:
> well, to state things quickly...
>
> XMPP does everything Matrix does, 10x better than Matrix
> IRC only does roughly 10% of what Matrix does, and is much less secure (encryption pretty much doesn't exist)
>
> for example, both XMPP and Matrix offer federation, though Matrix relies heavily on matrix.org for some reason...
> IRC doesn't federate afaik.
>
> both XMPP and Matrix also offer text styling and up to embedded content, unlike IRC afaik.
>

> as for resolving issues or whatever with discussion
> images can greatly help describe an issue to resolve it much quicker. ;)
>
> --
> Sent with Tutanota, the secure & ad-free mailbox.
>

> Aug 22, 2021, 10:38 AM by wolf@wolfsden.cz:
>
>     On 2021-08-19 23:33:27 +0200, tcll5850@tutanota.com wrote:
>
>         PS: how come you guys don't offer a better form of contact than IRC or Twitter...
>         such as XMPP or at least Matrix??
>

>     What is wrong with IRC? Not sure what XMPP buys you on top of it in the
>     context for this usage...
>
>     W.
>
>     --
>     There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
>     cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)