Subject: After upgrade X11 no longer working

From: Riccardo Mottola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 20:14:50 +0100

Hello,

I was running an old 3.6 version of alpine linux on my Laptop. I 
upgraded it today to latest 3.13 (actually upgrading to 3.7, 3.8, 
3.8.... just to be safe)

I have issues with X, it come sup with a black screen and nothing else. 
I cannot switch console. However, the computer is not locked: the 
powerbutton will shut down it gracefully and I can also login remotely.

I noticed with running "Xorg -configure"

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan 30 20:10:55 2021
List of video drivers:
         amdgpu
         ati
         radeon
         modesetting
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(II) AMDGPU(0): [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
(II) AMDGPU(1): [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
(II) AMDGPU(2): [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.49.0 but this driver is only 
compatible with 3.x.x.

there is a mismatch: maybe a too old kernel, DRM?

Riccardo

PS when upgrading I see this error:

evo-alpine:~# apk upgrade --available
4 errors; 2193 MiB in 602 packages

what are those 4 errors? maybe they are a clue.