Subject: [alpine-user] ipw2200 wireless

From: Riccardo Mottola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 23:57:10 +0200

Hi,

I have this wireless:
04:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG 
[Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)

in dmesg I see:
[    8.070206] libipw: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
[    8.070210] libipw: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation 
<[email-masked]>
[    8.199377] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 
1.2.2kmprq
[    8.199379] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
[    8.199593] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network 
Connection
[    8.338669] ipw2200 0000:04:02.0: Direct firmware load for 
ipw2200-bss.fw failed with error -2
[    8.338674] ipw2200: ipw2200-bss.fw request_firmware failed: Reason -2
[    8.338676] ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: -2
[    8.338849] ipw2200: probe of 0000:04:02.0 failed with error -5
[    8.509149] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input7

I suppose firmware is missing or is not loaded for other reasons.

I have installed  	linux-firmware-intel, but mayube it is not enough or 
some other config is missing?

Looking at other distribution forums, I should have ipw2200-bss.fw 
ipw2200-ibss.fw as firmware, but I do not have.

Thank you.

Riccardo

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Paul Zillmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 14:36:48 +0200

Hello,

looks like there is no packet for that firmware in the repositories [1].
Only the kernel module "ipw2200" which you've already loaded.

1: 
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/contents?file=ipw2200*&path=&name=&branch=v3.7

Paul

Am 08.05.2018 um 23:57 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
> [    8.199377] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network 
> Driver, 1.2.2kmprq
> I have installed      linux-firmware-intel, but mayube it is not 
> enough or some other config is missing?
>

---

---

From: Paul Zillmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 14:46:15 +0200

I believe it's due to the license.
But you can find that file(s) in the Debian repositories under 
/debian/config/ipw2x00/ in the tar file.
Debian puts it under /lib/firmware/ipw2200-[bss/ibss].fw

http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_20161130-3.debian.tar.xz

Paul

---

---

From: Riccardo Mottola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 00:05:36 +0200

Hi,

> I believe it's due to the license.

can't we have the equivalent of nonfree or some kind of switch?
The firmware is available for debian, gentoo most linux distributions I 
know as some BSDs. A kernel driver without firmware is ... a little user 
unfriendly.

> http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_20161130-3.debian.tar.xz 

I unpacked put the files and now my wireless works! so it is "only" a 
matter of firmware.

Thanks

Riccardo

---

---

From: Cág <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 11:02:53 -0400

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
 
> The firmware is available for debian, gentoo most linux distributions
> I know as some BSDs. A kernel driver without firmware is ... a little
> user unfriendly.

It's not due to the license. There is linux-firmware-other that contains
non-free firmware for most cards, and ipw is simply not there sadly. 

There is a non-free directory in the aports tree:
https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/non-free

-- 
caóc

---