Subject: [alpine-user] How to label mails (the gmail way) ?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 12:23:01 +0200

How to label mails (the gmail way) ? Or "organize" mails in "folders" and 
"subfolders" ? Ideally, I want IMAP to apply changes on the server (if I 
move a M mail in a F folder from PC1, I would like to see M in F even if I 
need to use another PC, say PC2.

Not sure how to do that...

Franck

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Riccardo Mottola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 15:57:39 +0200

I Franck,

[email-masked] wrote:
> How to label mails (the gmail way) ? Or "organize" mails in "folders" 
> and "subfolders" ? Ideally, I want IMAP to apply changes on the server 
> (if I move a M mail in a F folder from PC1, I would like to see M in F 
> even if I need to use another PC, say PC2.

what do you refer to, sorry? configuration of an IMAP server? or client 
program? e.g. are you using Thuderbird?
Is the issue specific to Alpine Linux?

IMAP supports folders and you can move messages between them and there 
exist server-side commands that a mail user agent may support or not.

Riccardo

---

---

From: azarus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 17:37:40 +0200

>Help:         [email-masked]

I believe there might be some confusion going on here. `Alpine` is also the name of a MUA.

https://www.washington.edu/alpine/

---

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 11:41:23 +0200

> Is the issue specific to Alpine Linux?

Not sure how to explain this as I am not confortable with all this 
IMAP/SMTP machinery !...

I want everything I do, a given day with a given mail, to be visible from 
"everywhere" (from any PC I could use) anytime (persistent on IMAP 
server).

At that stage, my understanding is that I succeeded to configure alpine 
this way (= close to what I want):
1. I have nothing in local (not-used or empty /home/user/mail directory)
    => S, L, first list : empty path
2. I use IMAP to "look for" mails (works OK)
    => S, L, first list, server field : added IMAP server address
3. I use SMTP to send mails (works OK)
    => S, C, SMTP : added SMTP server address

Now, say I receive this (new) mail: it's related to alpine, so I would 
like to create a folder "ALP" (persistent on the IMAP server) and "move" 
this mail into "ALP" for not to see it anymore in the INBOX (I prefer 
to see only new mails in INBOX).

In gmail, I would have created a label "ALP", add "ALP" label to the mail, 
and remove "INBOX" label from the mail: how to do the same with alpine ?

Not sure I am right here !... I'am precisely trying to understand

> IMAP supports folders and you can move messages between them and there exist 
> server-side commands that a mail user agent may support or not.
>
> Riccardo
>

Franck

---

---

From: Paul Zillmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 13:26:17 +0200

Hello Franck,

take a look at Sieve. The configuration of Sieve might be specific for 
your IMAP server and mail client.
What IMAP server do you use? It's best to take a google search or ask on 
the mailing list of that specific IMAP server software.

It's not a problem specific for the Alpine Linux operating system.

Paul

Am 23.05.2018 um 11:41 schrieb [email-masked]:
>>> How to label mails (the gmail way) ? Or "organize" mails in 
>>> "folders" and "subfolders" ? Ideally, I want IMAP to apply changes 
>>> on the server (if I move a M mail in a F folder from PC1, I would 
>>> like to see M in F even if I need to use another PC, say PC2.
>>
>> what do you refer to, sorry? configuration of an IMAP server? or 
>> client program? e.g. are you using Thuderbird?
> I want everything I do, a given day with a given mail, to be visible 
> from "everywhere" (from any PC I could use) anytime (persistent on 
> IMAP server).
>
> At that stage, my understanding is that I succeeded to configure 
> alpine this way (= close to what I want):
> like to create a folder "ALP" (persistent on the IMAP server) and 
> "move" this mail into "ALP" for not to see it anymore in the INBOX (I 
> prefer to see only new mails in INBOX).
>
> In gmail, I would have created a label "ALP", add "ALP" label to the 
> mail, and remove "INBOX" label from the mail: how to do the same with 
> alpine ?
>
>> IMAP supports folders and you can move messages between them and 
>> there exist server-side commands that a mail user agent may support 
>> or not.
>>
>> Riccardo
>>
>
>
> Franck
>
>
> ---

---