~alpine/users

General user support mailing list

5 3

Installation with LVM on LUKS, syslinux and GPT

José Alberto Orejuela García
Details
Message ID
<bdcd8355adab311aaa24b02a2c55b8c5@josealberto4444.com>
DKIM signature
missing

I've been trying to install Alpine for a few days and I don't find the
way. I've followed a mix of the pages [1] and [2] as I want LVM on
LUKS in a GPT disk, but I get an error when booting.

[1]: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/LVM_on_LUKS
[2]: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Installing_on_GPT_LVM

I get the following error after syslinux ends the countdown:

mount: mounting UUID=d8d442ca-f568-4834-8770-54a5067f5344 on /sysroot
failed: No such file or directory

I thought the problem was related to not indicating properly the root
after the decryption, but I've tried several things without
success. My partition scheme is the following:

/dev/nvme0n1
   /dev/nvme0n1p1 --> /boot partition
   /dev/nvme0n1p1 --> LUKS partition
     /dev/mapper/cryptlvm --> LVM volume
       /dev/vglvm/root --> / partition
       /dev/vglvm/swap --> swap partition
       /dev/vglvm/home --> /home partition

And I've tried the following parameters in /etc/update-extlinux.conf

default_kernel_opts="... cryptroot=/dev/nvme0n1p2 cryptdm=cryptlvm"
default_kernel_opts="... root=/dev/mapper/vglvm-root
cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p2:cryptlvm"
default_kernel_opts="... root=/dev/mapper/cryptlvm
cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p2:cryptlvm"

None of them successfully, getting a similar error to the one previously
mentioned.

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you,

José Alberto
Paul Zillmann
Details
Message ID
<d37d8aa0-f1a2-fe73-a098-872fc276b039@h6g.de>
In-Reply-To
<bdcd8355adab311aaa24b02a2c55b8c5@josealberto4444.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Hello José,

have you added the nessesary modules (crytpsetup, lvm2) to the initramfs
configuration and recreated the initramfs?

- Paul

Am 26.08.19 um 19:48 schrieb José Alberto Orejuela García:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to install Alpine for a few days and I don't find the
> way. I've followed a mix of the pages [1] and [2] as I want LVM on
> LUKS in a GPT disk, but I get an error when booting.
>
> [1]: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/LVM_on_LUKS
> [2]: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Installing_on_GPT_LVM
>
> I get the following error after syslinux ends the countdown:
>
> mount: mounting UUID=d8d442ca-f568-4834-8770-54a5067f5344 on /sysroot
> failed: No such file or directory
>
> I thought the problem was related to not indicating properly the root
> after the decryption, but I've tried several things without
> success. My partition scheme is the following:
>
> /dev/nvme0n1
>   /dev/nvme0n1p1 --> /boot partition
>   /dev/nvme0n1p1 --> LUKS partition
>     /dev/mapper/cryptlvm --> LVM volume
>       /dev/vglvm/root --> / partition
>       /dev/vglvm/swap --> swap partition
>       /dev/vglvm/home --> /home partition
>
> And I've tried the following parameters in /etc/update-extlinux.conf
>
> default_kernel_opts="... cryptroot=/dev/nvme0n1p2 cryptdm=cryptlvm"
> default_kernel_opts="... root=/dev/mapper/vglvm-root
> cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p2:cryptlvm"
> default_kernel_opts="... root=/dev/mapper/cryptlvm
> cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p2:cryptlvm"
>
> None of them successfully, getting a similar error to the one
> previously mentioned.
>
> I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help me, please?
>
> Thank you,
>
> José Alberto
José Alberto Orejuela García
Details
Message ID
<500CC447-7735-4E68-B63F-B5FA2A41FB12@josealberto4444.com>
In-Reply-To
<d37d8aa0-f1a2-fe73-a098-872fc276b039@h6g.de> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing

On 26 August 2019 23:19:06 CEST, Paul Zillmann <p.zillmann@h6g.de> wrote:
>have you added the nessesary modules (crytpsetup, lvm2) to the
>initramfs
>configuration and recreated the initramfs?

I edited /etc/mkinitfs/mkinitfs.conf during installation, adding
cryptsetup to it,

features="ata base ide scsi usb virtio ext4 lvm cryptsetup"

And then I did

# mkinitfs -c /mnt/etc/mkinitfs/mkinitfs.conf -b /mnt/ $(ls /mnt/lib/modules/)

as the wiki said. Is that what you mean or should I do something more?

José Alberto
Cosmo Borsky
Details
Message ID
<C596D059-E206-4072-951A-235B2879DF66@cosmoborsky.com>
In-Reply-To
<500CC447-7735-4E68-B63F-B5FA2A41FB12@josealberto4444.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Try adding `nvme` to your mkinitfs modules.

On August 27, 2019 3:31:53 PM UTC, "José Alberto Orejuela García" <libre@josealberto4444.com> wrote:

>On 26 August 2019 23:19:06 CEST, Paul Zillmann <p.zillmann@h6g.de>
>wrote:
>>have you added the nessesary modules (crytpsetup, lvm2) to the
>>initramfs
>>configuration and recreated the initramfs?
>
>I edited /etc/mkinitfs/mkinitfs.conf during installation, adding
>cryptsetup to it,
>
>features="ata base ide scsi usb virtio ext4 lvm cryptsetup"
>
>And then I did
>
># mkinitfs -c /mnt/etc/mkinitfs/mkinitfs.conf -b /mnt/ $(ls
>/mnt/lib/modules/)
>
>as the wiki said. Is that what you mean or should I do something more?
>
>José Alberto
José Alberto Orejuela García
Details
Message ID
<385AB6C2-52EA-40AF-8606-0BD66BF35F35@josealberto4444.com>
In-Reply-To
<C596D059-E206-4072-951A-235B2879DF66@cosmoborsky.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Should I also change lvm to lvm2?
<36a08c910d59b453bdf41eebc7cce38a@josealberto4444.com>

On 2019-08-28 00:37, Cosmo Borsky wrote:
> Try adding `nvme` to your mkinitfs modules.

It worked, thanks!

> On August 27, 2019 3:31:53 PM UTC, "José Alberto Orejuela García"
> <libre@josealberto4444.com> wrote:
>
> Should I also change lvm to lvm2?

No, just in case anyone wondering.

Oh, and the correct parameters in /etc/update-extlinux.conf are

default_kernel_opts="... cryptroot=/dev/nvme0n1p2 cryptdm=cryptlvm"

as the wiki says.