Subject: alpine 3.22 diskless usb stick mountlocal failed for lvm mdadm volume

From: michael theurl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2025 00:49:45 +0200

Hi,

i run a alpine linux 3.22 xen system on a usbstick with diskless mode.
Everything works fine but only the mountpoint of a filesystem who is on
a software raid + lvm volume failes to mount on the boot. 

printout: dmesg

[   40.883538] /dev/mapper/dgrp1-vDOM: Can't lookup blockdev          
[   40.883799] /dev/mapper/dgrp1-data: Can't lookup blockdev       

after i log in on the console and do a mount -a everything works fine.

can some one give me a hint what could be missing ?

many thanks

cheers
Michael

here are some printouts:
---
more /etc/fstab 
/dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom    iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
#/dev/usbdisk   /media/usb      vfat    noauto,ro 0 0
UUID=EAF5-65D8  /media/sdj1     vfat    noauto,ro 0 0
UUID=75d02572-d585-418d-b5b2-af16a925b1f7       /root   ext4   
defaults        0 2
/dev/mapper/dgrp1-vDOM  /pool/vDOM      ext4    defaults        0 2
/dev/mapper/dgrp1-data  /pool/data      ext4    defaults        0 2

---
/media/sdj1/boot/grub/grub.cfg 
set timeout=10

serial --unit=0 --word=8 --parity=no --speed 115200 --stop=1
terminal_input serial console
terminal_output serial console

menuentry "Xen/Linux lts" {
multiboot2      /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=2048M,max:2048M com1=115200,8n1
console=com1,vga
module2         /boot/vmlinuz-lts console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8d
rootflags=size=1024M modules=loop,squashfs,dm-mod,sd-mod,usb-
storage,ext4,raid5,raid1
module2         /boot/initramfs-lts
}