Subject: [Installing sway fails with blackscreen upon startup]

From: Max <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 09:00:14 +0200

Dear Alpine users,

does anybody of you use Sway?
I tried to install Sway by this
[instructions](https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Sway).

Without installing elogind nothing starts with the error of no detected
session.
Upon searching I found hints to install elogind as necessary requirement.

However now, after installing and setting elogind to be started on boot
(without further configuration), I get blackscreens.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this?

Best regards,
Jan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:32:36 -0500

How are you starting sway?

-- 
David

---

From: Ariadne Conill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 01:40:59 -0600

Hello,

> Does anybody have an idea how to fix this?

You need to be part of the video group in order to run a wayland 
compositor.  elogind will handle this for you if you use a manager like 
sddm, otherwise you should make sure you are in video group yourself.

You can do this with `addgroup $user video`.

Ariadne