Mail archive
alpine-aports

Re: [alpine-aports] Please *don't* drop prepare!

From: Sören Tempel <soeren_at_soeren-tempel.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 22:29:08 +0100

On 01.02.16, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > This makes it needlessly hard to add patches: the moment someone wants to
> > fix a problem, this bites them because they'll try adding a patch,
> > build, and wonder "Why on earth am I seeing the problem I just fixed?"
> >
> > I just ran into this with bridge-utils.
>
> +1

I just assumed that noice was simple enough to probably never need
patches in the future, however, if it's considered a "common practice"
to always keep the prepare function than I will do so in the future.

> > Anyhow...
> > Is there a reason that this couldn't be moved to abuild?
>
> Not really.

I would also prefer it if all source files matching "*.patch" would be
applied automatically.

> > I know that bash uses -p0 patches, which wouldn't work with this.
> > But other than that, it seems to be a universal constant.
>
> I think gentoo tries various -pN variants before error. We could do something like:
>
> patch -p1 -i .... || patch -p0 -i ...

That can cause a lot of problems. I think the easier solution would be
to simply add an optional variable (with the default value "-p1") which
allows you to pass extra command line flags to patch(1) from the
APKBUILD itself.

Sören.