Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: apk-tools user interface

From: Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:49:56 +0200

Natanael Copa wrote:
> The apk-tools user interface have some leftovers from apk-tools-1.x
> which had an user interface similar to freebsd's pkg-tools. I don't
> see any point in that anymore and i think its time to think over the
> user interface for apk tools. I think we want keep 'apk add' and 'apk
> del' like they are more or less for compatibility but I think it might
> be good redo some of the other applets, at least 'apk info'.

If you have strong arguments why to do it, then sure. I remember we
decided to clone old shell interface to maintain compatibility with
scripts.

> How about we make a new applet called 'apk query' that eventually will
> replace the 'apk info' applet?

Yes, this would be the way to do it.

I'm not against this, as the old style is slightly non-obvious and
strange at points.

However, doing this will require updating all scripts and have the
users learn a new set of commands. Is it worth it? -- If the new
commands are same as in e.g. apt, dpkg, rpm or some other popular
package manager, then I think it's a good direction.

- Timo