[alpine-devel] Code of Cond

From: 7heo <7heo_at_mail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 00:49:10 +0200

Hey people,

a few of us have been discussing every now and then the possibility of
ever needing a CoC.

Following an exchange of opinions with some of the long-time Alpine
developers today, I decided to come up with a CoC asap, for two reasons:

1. Abuses in the community would have an objective ground to be fought on.
2. Nobody could then come claiming we do not have a CoC and present us
with a much more harmful and complex alternative (as it has been the
case in many open source projects already)

Here goes my proposal (followed by explanations for each point), loosely
based on the proposals from the PostgreSQL mailing list:

Alpine (AKA Alpine-Linux and Alpine-OS) Code of Conduct (CoC)

1. This CoC is to provide community guidelines for creating and
enforcing a safe, respectful, productive, and collaborative place for
any person who is willing to contribute in a safe, respectful,
productive and collaborative way.

2. A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
of personal attacks and disparaging remarks of any kind, including, but
not limited to, racial, ethnic, gender-related, religious, political,
sexual-orientation related slur.

3. This CoC is not about being offended, nor giving weapons to so called
social justice warriors. One should always assume good intentions. As
with any diverse community, anyone would otherwise eventually get
offended at something.

4. Any sustained disruption of the collaborative space (mailing lists,
IRC etc.) or other Alpine events shall be construed as a violation of
this CoC and appropriate action will be taken by the Alpine community
moderators.

5. Any amendment made to this CoC should be approved by all Alpine
developers (i.e. all people who have commit rights on the repositories).

6. The CoC is only about interaction with the Alpine community. Your
private and public lives outside of the Alpine community are your own.
Any issue arising outside of the Alpine community and not directly
technically related with the Alpine maintained software shall neither be
discussed nor arbitrated within the community.

----
Explanations:
1. Alpine is about contribution first, community second. The community
only exists for the sole purpose of contributing together to Alpine. Not
the other way around.
2. Such an contribution-welcoming environment can only happen when
people leave their personal different at the door. Toxic behavior (like
personal attacks) have no place in our community. i.e.: "Your work
sucks" is fine while "you suck" isn't.
3. The FOSS community has recently seen a drastic increase of lobbying
for exclusion, and censoring attempts, against some contributors, from
certain groups. Offensive and toxic behavior within the community will
be dealt with according to point two. Offensive and toxic behavior
outside of it will be ignored according to point six.
4. As explained in point one, the main and foremost goal of our
community is to support contribution. Anything threatening or impeding
contribution is therefore directly harming the primary goal of our
mailing lists and IRC channels; and has to be prevented.
5. Again, as explained in point one, the goal of the community is
contribution. This CoC, discussing it, and all the work related to it
are wasted time in regards to the technical progress. This requirement
is meant as a discussion deterrent, as it will be pointless to discuss
any proposal to the CoC as soon as one developer disagrees.
6. We do not care if you torture kittens or beat up puppies outside of
our community. As long as you are keeping things separated, we will.
----
I hope I made it well enough that we do not have to spend too much time
discussing it.
Theo.