Apparently there has been some sort of speculation regarding
replacement of some components of the system with others, and
apparently many moons ago last time, at least on this list.
I would like to know Alpine developers' and users' positions on:
1. BusyBox. Does it need a replacement such as sbase/ubase,
The Heirloom Toolchest, ToyBox or maybe even 9base or Coreutils?
2. GNU software. Should it be replaced by analogues? For example,
make with bmake, bc with heirloom bc, bison with byacc, ncurses
with NetBSD curses.
4. OpenRC. Should Alpine switch to an alternative like runit, s6
or svc? Should /sbin/init be sinit?
5. In case of replacing BusyBox with something that lacks an
editor, what would become the default? nvi, vim, neovim, elvis
traditional vi, nano or vis? Or maybe there will be two like
in OpenBSD or a load as in Slackware?
6. What would be the default shell? mksh, pksh or dash? Or maybe
Received on Thu Jun 15 2017 - 21:01:32 GMT