[alpine-devel] Re: a discourse on the troubles of being an alpine developer these days

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 01:47:30 -0500

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 2:57 AM, William Pitcock
<nenolod_at_dereferenced.org> wrote:
> The reality is that when bpitrowski_at_ was run out of the project by
> jirutka_at_ and some contributors that are part of his social clique, the
> core team did nothing to stop it, with individual members (including
> myself) expressing sorrow about the situation. Since then it has
> become clear that inaction of the core team has sent a very harmful
> message. The group who systematically harassed bpitrowski_at_ until he
> resigned have had other actions which have lead to perceptions such as
> "spewing hate is part of the Alpine brand."

I want to follow up on this part: since I wrote this, I spoke with
both jirutka and barthalion, so I feel that following up is the right
thing to do.

On one side, barthalion said that he felt ignored and that nobody
cared about anything he had to contribute, which probably explains the
reduction in effort he applied towards Alpine in the months before he
left. On the other, jirutka said that the conflict went both ways,
which is why it probably escalated to the point of barthalion leaving.
Either way in this case, upon further reflection, I think the actual
tragedy here is that we lack private channels to work through these
problems. I had a lengthy private discussion with jirutka, and he
came to basically the same conclusion. He also clarified that he
agrees the actions taken by some of his associates has been out of
line lately.

So given that, I think in reality, that he's an alright person. Until
now we have never really talked about what happened last year in great
detail. The tragedy is, in my opinion, that if we had appropriate
channels to work through issues privately, that barthalion probably
wouldn't have left to begin with.

Finally, I would like to apologise to jirutka for calling him out
without having the whole story. If we had appropriate private
channels, these issues likely wouldn't occur to begin with. I look
forward to working with jirutka and the rest of the core team to
establish backchannels for this purpose, and procedures to use for
appropriately handling complaints directed to the core team.

I still miss the days where we worked on code instead of bickering.
What I really want is to return to that climate. Whether or not I
choose to stay really comes down to whether or not I believe we will
return to that climate.

William