Re: [alpine-devel] Extend APKBUILD format with a variable to check framework versions

From: Chloe Kudryavtsev <toast_at_toastin.space>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 20:17:26 -0500

On 1/8/2019 3:44 AM, Oliver Smith wrote:
> various frameworks, such as Qt (available in Alpine), KDE Plasma, KDE
> Framework have a lot of components that get released together and
> therefore must have the same pkgver. In postmarketOS we have a CI check
> in place, that makes sure, that the version matches for all these
> components. Right now we are categorizing the frameworks by their URL,
> but that is of course not the purpose of the URL variable.

I wonder if this could be handled using meta-packages, or something
along those lines.
Nothing deep/further here, but it seemed worth mentioning (since meta
packages are effectively a way to group other packages, and would be a
more "whitelist" approach).

> It was suggested to add a new variable instead, and since Alpine and
> Adélie would probably benefit from such a check and variable as well, I
> wonder if it makes sense to make this variable official and add it to
> the APKBUILD reference in Alpine's wiki. I could add a simple shell
> script that checks the package versions based on that variable in
> Alpine's aports.git to be used by Travis.

This sounds interesting.
APKBUILD is basically treated as a shell script (see: abuild.in:2560),
so, theoretically, adding a variable (even into the spec) doesn't have
any real downsides (besides an extra couple of optional bytes around).

In the meantime, you could always use _variables (_ being the non-spec
prefix for variables) to do the same thing (with the same script).
This way if it gets officially supported, upstreaming would be very easy
(just remove the _s).

> I would like to keep "framework" out of the name, as this may also be
> the case for non-frameworks, such as the KDE Applications, which are
> also released together.
> One idea for the name would be "relgroup", as in "release group":

I like that name - it seems fairly representative of the problem being
solved.