Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: Project goals and guiding principles

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 19:35:58 +0100

I'm responding to myself...

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 09:40:36 +0100
Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Before we start discuss specific rules I would like to get some sort of
> consensus of the bigger picture, the project goals and guiding
> principles.

> == Project Goals
> - To build and maintain an independent, non-commercial, general purpose
> Linux distribution designed for power users who appreciate security,
> simplicity and resource efficiency.
> - To maintain a friendly and productive community within.

Just to clarify. Those things are not new in any sense. Its more trying
to define and document what has been the goal all the time. I want give
anyone who may not agree with those goals a chance to leave early, so
we save time debating specific rules later. No point discuss rules if
we don't agree on the project goals in the first place.

> === Guiding Principles
> - Build a community based on mutual trust, responsibility, and respect
> - Prevent and respond to abuses of power without disrupting the project
> - Empower motivated people to effect change and progress

I found the last one a bit questionable:

> - Do the right thing over doing the written thing

What is "the right thing"? Who decides what the right thing is?

I am afraid that it may be (ab)used for things like: "The right thing
to do is to punish someone who offended me when nobody else does, even
if the written rules says I shouldn't"

I also wonder if would make sense to include something in the lines:

"Build a sustainable community that does not depend on any individual or
any single company or organization."

Even if we haven't really written it down anywhere, that has been a
goal since the very beginning.