Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: Project goals and guiding principles

From: Drew DeVault <sir_at_cmpwn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 15:29:21 -0400

On 2019-03-29 3:18 PM, Chloe Kudryavtsev wrote:
> On 3/29/2019 2:35 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > > - Do the right thing over doing the written thing
> >
> > What is "the right thing"? Who decides what the right thing is?
> >
> > I am afraid that it may be (ab)used for things like: "The right thing
> > to do is to punish someone who offended me when nobody else does, even
> > if the written rules says I shouldn't"

The rules don't work independently - this only works when combined with:

- Build a community based on mutual trust, responsibility, and respect

We have to trust each other to know what the right thing to do is.
Someone who would abuse this has clearly betrayed that trust and should
be removed from the project. This would be true even if they stayed
within the boundaries of the written rules, as I'm sure there are edge
cases throughout which can be exploited in bad faith.