Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: Project goals and guiding principles

From: Oliver Smith <ollieparanoid_at_bitmessage.ch>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 21:53:00 +0000

Overall I'd add my ACK.

Chloe Kudryavtsev:
> How about the following?:
>> - - To maintain a friendly and productive community within.
>> + - To build a friendly, productive and sustainable community that
> does not depend on any singular entity.

I would prefer to have this addition.

Regarding "Do the right thing over doing the written thing". What is the
written thing? If it is the rules outlined in the initial post, then I
don't see a valid reason to go against these rules.

Chloe also wrote:
> On 3/29/2019 2:35 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
>>> - Do the right thing over doing the written thing
>>
>> What is "the right thing"? Who decides what the right thing is?
>>
>> I am afraid that it may be (ab)used for things like: "The right thing
>> to do is to punish someone who offended me when nobody else does, even
>> if the written rules says I shouldn't"
>
> The axioms involved are as such:
> - There is always a correct course of action, based on the project goals.
> - It is possible to identify this course of action.
> - This course of action could, in theory, require breaking an existing rule or policy.
>
> Under the latter conditions, the idea here is to allow people to do said correct thing without (necessarily) waiting on consensus.

IMHO that makes it more complicated than necessary. I don't think that
the Alpine team would deadlock itself because of a rule they made
earlier that does not hold up anymore. So I would rather remove the "Do
the right thing..." line.

With that being said, I don't have a whole lot of experience in
writing/reviewing such community rules.

Regards,
Oliver