Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: Project goals and guiding principles

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 22:29:49 +0200

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 15:29:21 -0400
Drew DeVault <sir_at_cmpwn.com> wrote:

> > > What is "the right thing"? Who decides what the right thing is?
> > >
> > > I am afraid that it may be (ab)used for things like: "The right thing
> > > to do is to punish someone who offended me when nobody else does, even
> > > if the written rules says I shouldn't"
>
> The rules don't work independently - this only works when combined with:
>
> - Build a community based on mutual trust, responsibility, and respect
>
> We have to trust each other to know what the right thing to do is.
> Someone who would abuse this has clearly betrayed that trust and should
> be removed from the project. This would be true even if they stayed
> within the boundaries of the written rules, as I'm sure there are edge
> cases throughout which can be exploited in bad faith.

I'm just worried about the cases where the right thing is non-obvious or
the right thing may be a single answer and we may end up spending time
and energy on discussing what the right thing to do is.

I'm also worried that it can be misunderstood.

Since it may be controversial and already has caused some confusion,
I would say that the "right thing" to do here is to remove "the written
thing" :)

But I do agree with the intention. It should be possible to make
exceptions in the "rules" and use common sense if needed.