[alpine-devel] Planning for 3.10 release

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 17:28:25 +0200

Hi,

I would like to make 3.10 release in the beginning of May, so I would
like to share what the plan is to get there.

We need to start the 3.10 build servers as soon as possible. Before we
do that we need to have a "feature" freeze of the toolchain and core
components. This means, gcc version, musl libc, binutils, make etc. If
those need upgrade, then we need to do so *now*.

I think we probably also need to upgrade python 3.7, which is a major
project.

After that we need to freeze all the other build tools and compilers,
like go, rust, clang etc.

Things that I would like to have included in 3.10:
- python 3.7
- at least one more architecture for rust.
- update the other languages that uses llvm and try get rid of old llvm.
- openjdk9 and openjdk10?
- move ceph to community

Are there anything else we should try squeeze in?

Are there any other ABI breaking upgrades that requires lots of
rebuilds? We should try prioritize those too.

We should also try fix as many bugs as possible.

It would be nice if someone could help me look over the bug tracker and
identify what issues should be prioritized for 3.10 and mark those as
"High" priority.

Thanks!