[alpine-devel] remove ruby-* packages?

<20160428165453.4d2cbc9e@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>

I wonder if there are any good reason to *not* purge the ruby-*
packages?

There are many good reasons to do it:

- upstream generally does not support distro packaging, instead, they
  prefer that `gem` package manager is used instead.
- many of the ruby-* packages are broken
- its very time consuming to upgrade things
- its very easy to break things when upgrading
- its almost impossible to provide security fixes for the distro
  packaged ruby-*

If there are any good reason to keep the ruby-* packages, then I'd like
to know, before I purge them.

<CANoR=qagi-P_onuN78Pti_du-oi3KnXtkQojTdh1Hrp8YurtFw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20160428165453.4d2cbc9e@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> If there are any good reason to keep the ruby-* packages, then I'd like
> to know, before I purge them.

I would argue in favor of keeping a handful, such as ruby-rake and ruby-irb,
which are subpackages of ruby [1] and are generally useful outside of bundles.

I might argue in favor of keeping ruby-pry since it's generally useful
outside of bundles.

I find it hard to argue in favor of keeping any packages that are
available via rubygems.

[1] http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/ruby/APKBUILD

-paul

Jakub Jirutka <jakub@jirutka.cz>
<0A37EC9A-38DF-46FF-AADF-A05CA61BEC39@jirutka.cz>
In-Reply-To
<CANoR=qagi-P_onuN78Pti_du-oi3KnXtkQojTdh1Hrp8YurtFw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)

please keep all the ruby package subpackages (like ruby-rake, ruby-irb, …) and also ruby-bundler (this is a separate package). Other ruby-* packages are probably unnecessary.

I would also suggest to check if there are any specific patches in ruby-* packages, especially for native extensions to be buildable on musl; these may be candidates for keeping.

Jakub J.

On 28. Apr 2016, at 17:48, Paul Morgan <jumanjiman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>> If there are any good reason to keep the ruby-* packages, then I'd like
>> to know, before I purge them.
>

> I would argue in favor of keeping a handful, such as ruby-rake and ruby-irb,
> which are subpackages of ruby [1] and are generally useful outside of bundles.
>
> I might argue in favor of keeping ruby-pry since it's generally useful
> outside of bundles.
>
> I find it hard to argue in favor of keeping any packages that are
> available via rubygems.
>
> [1] http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/ruby/APKBUILD
>

> -paul
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<20160429132502.10546632@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<0A37EC9A-38DF-46FF-AADF-A05CA61BEC39@jirutka.cz> (view parent)
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:03:30 +0200
Jakub Jirutka <jakub@jirutka.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> please keep all the ruby package subpackages (like ruby-rake,
> ruby-irb, *) and also ruby-bundler (this is a separate package).
> Other ruby-* packages are probably unnecessary.

all ruby subpackages will be kept ofcourse.

> I would also suggest to check if there are any specific patches in
> ruby-* packages, especially for native extensions to be buildable on
> musl; these may be candidates for keeping.

ruby-rmagick, ruby-pg i think. But there should not be any problems
with building those with gem. just make sure that the build deps are
there.