Patches for aports can be sent to this list

3 3

[alpine-aports] I will be temporarily unable to maintain packages this summer

Isaac Dunham
Details
Message ID
<20160416010102.GA8821@newbook>
Sender timestamp
1460768463
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hello,
This summer (starting mid-May or so), I probably won't be able to
contribute to Alpine.

I currently maintain the following packages:
motif xpdf ted
tk openblas py-tkinter py-cycler py-matplotlib py-scipy
sword biblesync xiphos
gifsicle
heirloom-mailx
icewm
brlaser
mdev-like-a-boss
otter-browser
I also contributed the hdf5, harminv, meep, and related packages.

Of these, otter-browser should probably go in unmaintained anyway;
openblas and the python packages are frequently used;
and the remainder are updated at relatively low frequency (sword and
xiphos being the most frequent, at roughly 1-2 times per year).

I should be able to pick up at least some of these in the fall.


Long explanation: I'll be busy making hay, running a steamer-baler
near Alturas.
The schedule is sunset till the dew's too heavy, and sunrise till the
temperature hits about 100 (F, not C); this works out to 12-14 hours a
day, every day, until the rain starts falling. That ends somewhere
around mid-October.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham
Natanael Copa
Details
Message ID
<20160425194558.005700d2@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20160416010102.GA8821@newbook> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1461606358
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:01:03 -0700
Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> This summer (starting mid-May or so), I probably won't be able to
> contribute to Alpine.
> 
> I currently maintain the following packages:
> motif xpdf ted
> tk openblas py-tkinter py-cycler py-matplotlib py-scipy
> sword biblesync xiphos
> gifsicle
> heirloom-mailx
> icewm
> brlaser
> mdev-like-a-boss
> otter-browser
> I also contributed the hdf5, harminv, meep, and related packages.
> 
> Of these, otter-browser should probably go in unmaintained anyway;
> openblas and the python packages are frequently used;
> and the remainder are updated at relatively low frequency (sword and
> xiphos being the most frequent, at roughly 1-2 times per year).
> 
> I should be able to pick up at least some of these in the fall.

Thank you for letting us know. We will try look after them meanwhile.

While at it, xiphos has a build time dependency of webkitgtk-dev. Could
you check if there are some way to replace that with webkit2gtk?
(webkit2, api 4.0). If not possible, is upstream working on it?

I'd like to get rid of webkitgtk, but evolution, geary, handbreak and
xiphos still needs it.

> Long explanation: I'll be busy making hay, running a steamer-baler
> near Alturas.
> The schedule is sunset till the dew's too heavy, and sunrise till the
> temperature hits about 100 (F, not C); this works out to 12-14 hours a
> day, every day, until the rain starts falling. That ends somewhere
> around mid-October.

Sounds fun!

I hope you come back in the fall 
> 
> Thanks,
> Isaac Dunham
> 



---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-aports+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-aports+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Jiri Horner
Details
Message ID
<20160425182629.GF28691@eucalyptus>
In-Reply-To
<20160425194558.005700d2@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1461608789
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 07:45:58PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
>
>Thank you for letting us know. We will try look after them meanwhile.
>
>While at it, xiphos has a build time dependency of webkitgtk-dev. Could
>you check if there are some way to replace that with webkit2gtk?
>(webkit2, api 4.0). If not possible, is upstream working on it?
>
>I'd like to get rid of webkitgtk, but evolution, geary, handbreak and
>xiphos still needs it.
>

Arch have some builds with webkit2gtk [0]. Problem is that then you also need a 
gtkhtml4 for editing or something, which by itself is maybe even more obsolete 
than webkit. But it is arguably more lightweight. It would be the best, if it 
could work without gtkhtml.

>> Long explanation: I'll be busy making hay, running a steamer-baler
>> near Alturas.
>> The schedule is sunset till the dew's too heavy, and sunrise till the
>> temperature hits about 100 (F, not C); this works out to 12-14 hours a
>> day, every day, until the rain starts falling. That ends somewhere
>> around mid-October.
>
>Sounds fun!

Yes!


Cheers,
Jiri

[0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xiphos-gtk3/


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-aports+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-aports+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Isaac Dunham
Details
Message ID
<20160426061739.GB13494@newbook>
In-Reply-To
<20160425182629.GF28691@eucalyptus> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1461651460
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:26:29PM +0200, Jiri Horner wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 07:45:58PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > 
> > Thank you for letting us know. We will try look after them meanwhile.
> > 
> > While at it, xiphos has a build time dependency of webkitgtk-dev. Could
> > you check if there are some way to replace that with webkit2gtk?
> > (webkit2, api 4.0). If not possible, is upstream working on it?
> > 
> > I'd like to get rid of webkitgtk, but evolution, geary, handbreak and
> > xiphos still needs it.
> > 
> 
> Arch have some builds with webkit2gtk [0]. Problem is that then you also
> need a gtkhtml4 for editing or something, which by itself is maybe even more
> obsolete than webkit. But it is arguably more lightweight. It would be the
> best, if it could work without gtkhtml.

> [0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xiphos-gtk3/

A feature of Xiphos is the ability to write comments, and there's an editor
to do that in. Webkit 1 and gtkhtml are the only options (an HTML engine
is needed.)

Apparently one of the upstream developers looked at porting that from old
webkit to new webkit2, and gave up when he saw how much had changed in the
API.

On gtkhtml vs old webkit: I *think* the attack surface is a lot larger
with old webkit.

Thanks,
Isaac

PS: Somehow, I'm reminded that the new home of xiphos is
https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos
and I haven't updated the APKBUILD.



---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-aports+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-aports+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---