~alpine/devel

2 2

Alpine 3.12.0 release candidate 1 is out

Details
Message ID
<20200522121940.31bd4862@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hi!

The first release candidate for 3.12 is out. Please help test!
http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.12/releases/

Details on what is new in 3.12:
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Release_Notes_for_Alpine_3.12.0
(Thank you Leo and Cogitri!)

If you find any issues with the release candidate, then please file an
issue with the details, and set the milestone to 3.12.0. Please use
also this milestone for merge requests that are critical for 3.12.0
release.

I would also appreciate help with fixing as many of the remaining bugs:
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues?milestone_title=3.12.0

Thanks!
ecsx
Details
Message ID
<AqshRf8LFVfJ5pHTpjPqUfWi2F9rvUd_CAuzWJMSs4qby1FEyob8OAu0V1lZFlpz70ny-WAWal0IZLia0M-GY3fLyRaekTjhAMvMPVyx1Q0=@protonmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20200522121940.31bd4862@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
I've been using 3.12.0-RC1 for the last days and it's working well so far. I got just a few notes.

- There's firefox-esr and firefox in community repo now. Are they equally maintained? Which one is recommended? It's been clear in the past (with firefox-esr in community and firefox in testing) that you should choose firefox-esr for stability and better support. What now?

- python3 doesn't provide a python binary or symlink, just a python3. The end-of-life python2 still owns `python`. For the next RC it should be the other way around?

- Are there any guides for syslinux installation on modern (UEFI) boards? I couldn't get it to work and ended up using GRUB.


I'll keep using this RC and let you know if any bug pops up but so far it's good.
Congrats!



‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, May 22, 2020 7:19 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The first release candidate for 3.12 is out. Please help test!
> http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.12/releases/
>
> Details on what is new in 3.12:
> https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Release_Notes_for_Alpine_3.12.0
> (Thank you Leo and Cogitri!)
>
> If you find any issues with the release candidate, then please file an
> issue with the details, and set the milestone to 3.12.0. Please use
> also this milestone for merge requests that are critical for 3.12.0
> release.
>
> I would also appreciate help with fixing as many of the remaining bugs:
> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues?milestone_title=3.12.0
>
> Thanks!
Rasmus Thomsen
Details
Message ID
<b4d5bebbb9c73efb034fa6b444d735d58fb0813f.camel@cogitri.dev>
In-Reply-To
<AqshRf8LFVfJ5pHTpjPqUfWi2F9rvUd_CAuzWJMSs4qby1FEyob8OAu0V1lZFlpz70ny-WAWal0IZLia0M-GY3fLyRaekTjhAMvMPVyx1Q0=@protonmail.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hello,

first off, thanks for testing the RC! :)

On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 15:23 +0000, ecsx wrote:
> I've been using 3.12.0-RC1 for the last days and it's working well so
> far. I got just a few notes.
> 
> - There's firefox-esr and firefox in community repo now. Are they
> equally maintained? Which one is recommended? It's been clear in the
> past (with firefox-esr in community and firefox in testing) that you
> should choose firefox-esr for stability and better support. What now?

They'll both be equally well maintained, but ff-esr will stay on the
supported esr version (right now 68.x), while ff (non-esr) will always
be the latest release. As such you probably want to use ff-esr if you
value stability (as in no UI changes, no new features etc.) and ff if
you want the latest features or speed improvements. I imagine most end
users will want ff (non-esr).

> - python3 doesn't provide a python binary or symlink, just a python3.
> The end-of-life python2 still owns `python`. For the next RC it
> should be the other way around?

We tried removing the /usr/bin/python symlink from python2 in time for
3.12 but unfortunately too many things in aports still rely on
/usr/bin/python being python2. Unfortunately it's now too late in the
release process for such a big change - but with 3.13 /usr/bin/python
being python2 should be a thing of the past.


> - Are there any guides for syslinux installation on modern (UEFI)
> boards? I couldn't get it to work and ended up using GRUB.

I could swear we have a wiki article about this (which I can't find
right now though), but I have to admit I always use rEFInd or GRUB on
my machines, so maybe someone else knows more about that :)

> I'll keep using this RC and let you know if any bug pops up but so
> far it's good.
> Congrats!
> 

Thanks!

Rasmus Thomsen