IPv6 DNS in docker.io/alpine

<2S4UGX2K2XUWW.383MIJ9QU1RGG@unix.is.love.unix.is.life>
Hello everyone,

i've been trying to pin down where the resolv.conf in the docker image is coming from without success. I've been looking into submitting a request to add IPv6 addresses to the default too to allow containers with IPv6 only connectivity to resolve without deriving a image from the base.

Could you help me pin down where the build scripts/Dockerfile for these are and would adding IPv6 as a fallback cause problems?

--
Alex D.
RedXen System & Infrastructure Administration
On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 12:34 PM caskd <caskd@redxen.eu> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> i've been trying to pin down where the resolv.conf in the docker image is coming from without success. I've been looking into submitting a request to add IPv6 addresses to the default too to allow containers with IPv6 only connectivity to resolve without deriving a image from the base.
>
> Could you help me pin down where the build scripts/Dockerfile for these are and would adding IPv6 as a fallback cause problems?

docker itself is responsible for the content of /etc/resolv.conf, so
you should fix it in docker.

You need to add the following to /etc/docker/daemon.json, and restart docker:
  {
    "ipv6": true,
    "fixed-cidr-v6": "<prefix>",
  }

If I don't need a public prefix, I typically use fd80::/80 or something similar.

Hope this helps,
Kevin
<CTFDHUVT80YL.BFAWP2B748KE@sumire>
On Fri Jun 16, 2023 at 12:33 PM CEST, caskd wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> i've been trying to pin down where the resolv.conf in the docker image
> is coming from without success. I've been looking into submitting a request
> to add IPv6 addresses to the default too to allow containers with IPv6 only
> connectivity to resolve without deriving a image from the base.
>
> Could you help me pin down where the build scripts/Dockerfile for these are
> and would adding IPv6 as a fallback cause problems?

isn't the resolv.conf in a started container populated on start depending on the
networking configuration?

e.g. with --network=host it just uses your current /etc/resolv.conf. without it,
it depends on how the networking for containers is set up, ...

the actual images are just the unpacked minirootfs, made with mkimg.minirootfs.sh,
but i don't think that touches resolv.conf at all.
<2NT12AEIPXQS6.2JTIOVIOSLPHN@unix.is.love.unix.is.life>
In-Reply-To
<CTFDHUVT80YL.BFAWP2B748KE@sumire> (view parent)
> isn't the resolv.conf in a started container populated on start depending on the
> networking configuration?
>
> e.g. with --network=host it just uses your current /etc/resolv.conf. without it,
> it depends on how the networking for containers is set up, ...
>
> the actual images are just the unpacked minirootfs, made with mkimg.minirootfs.sh,
> but i don't think that touches resolv.conf at all.
Indeed. I've started looking deeper and completly missed the upper layer where the actual change happens. This is irrelevant now.

--
Alex D.
RedXen System & Infrastructure Administration
https://redxen.eu/
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)