UID for admin user created by setup-alpine

Sven Kirmess <sven@kirmess.ch>
<CAMBnWDgLfzb479gHGSAvv1Jid1CG_p5mPGsG-iSX=Bh71X3y7A@mail.gmail.com>
Is there a way to ensure the admin user created by setup-alpine has a
specific uid, instead of the default (1000)?

I think I found the script that setup-alpine uses to create a user, and
that script doesn't have an option to ask for a UID:
<
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/alpine-conf/-/blob/master/setup-user.in

Is that the correct script? And if yes, is there a reason why this option
is not present or could that be added?
<ZFNGquTdnoiLdqm5@3dfb56236b9a>
In-Reply-To
<CAMBnWDgLfzb479gHGSAvv1Jid1CG_p5mPGsG-iSX=Bh71X3y7A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:10:27PM +0200, Sven Kirmess wrote:
> Is there a way to ensure the admin user created by setup-alpine has a
> specific uid, instead of the default (1000)?
>
> I think I found the script that setup-alpine uses to create a user, and
> that script doesn't have an option to ask for a UID:
> <
> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/alpine-conf/-/blob/master/setup-user.in
> >

> Is that the correct script? And if yes, is there a reason why this option
> is not present or could that be added?

That's indeed the script that would create an admin user. That specific
functionality is relateively new (introduced in Alpine 3.16), and the goal is to
quickly make a (non-root) administrative user.

So it does not have a lot of options to customize what it does. In that
case it might be better to just create this user yourself after
installation so that you can customize it however your want.

Ofcourse, it's always possible to make a feature request or merge
request to add this functionality in that project.

Kevin
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)