Steps building Alpine Xen ISO?

Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD <lonnie@outstep.com>
<afd4b169-3413-4a1f-b584-fac8d30d0567@outstep.com>
Hello All,

I have just started working with the Alpine Xen distro as I need a
minimal size Xen that runs in RAM as a starting point on a project.

Being new to Alpine and have mostly used Ubuntu, CentOS, and a few
others, I have a bit of experience in the Linux world, but just not a
lot with Alpine but must say that I truly love the minimalist approach.

With that in mind, I would like to know if there is a developers link to
building the Alpine Xen ISO from scratch or if someone might have the
steps available that I could get and give it a try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and have a great day,
Lonnie
Leonardo Arena <rnalrd@gmail.com>
<CAGG_d8CNzNM6=dD7zPp27LZq9+k+dkLGcMH5CAd7yMC9zeP4Gw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<afd4b169-3413-4a1f-b584-fac8d30d0567@outstep.com> (view parent)

the already built Alpine XEN ISO does not suit your needs?

https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.19/releases/x86_64/alpine-xen-3.19.1-x86_64.iso

Cheers,
leo

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 5:25 PM Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD <
lonnie@outstep.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have just started working with the Alpine Xen distro as I need a minimal
> size Xen that runs in RAM as a starting point on a project.
>
> Being new to Alpine and have mostly used Ubuntu, CentOS, and a few others,
> I have a bit of experience in the Linux world, but just not a lot with
> Alpine but must say that I truly love the minimalist approach.
>
> With that in mind, I would like to know if there is a developers link to
> building the Alpine Xen ISO from scratch or if someone might have the steps
> available that I could get and give it a try?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated and have a great day,
> Lonnie

Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD <lonnie@outstep.com>
<f6e92799-fc6f-44b7-92a7-6b725d25ea41@outstep.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAGG_d8CNzNM6=dD7zPp27LZq9+k+dkLGcMH5CAd7yMC9zeP4Gw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hi Leo,

Actually, I am working on a modified Xen for security and
fault-tolerance improvements using ideas from Xoar, and Dom0Less peer
papers and want to build out a new Xen ISO based upon Alpine for various
testing.

With that in mind, I need to be able to easily build that ISO from scratch.

Thanks
Lonnie

On 2/18/2024 11:31 AM, Leonardo Arena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the already built Alpine XEN ISO does not suit your needs?
>
> https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.19/releases/x86_64/alpine-xen-3.19.1-x86_64.iso
>
> Cheers,
> leo
>
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 5:25 PM Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD
> <lonnie@outstep.com> wrote:
>
>     Hello All,
>
>     I have just started working with the Alpine Xen distro as I need a
>     minimal size Xen that runs in RAM as a starting point on a project.
>
>     Being new to Alpine and have mostly used Ubuntu, CentOS, and a few
>     others, I have a bit of experience in the Linux world, but just
>     not a lot with Alpine but must say that I truly love the
>     minimalist approach.
>
>     With that in mind, I would like to know if there is a developers
>     link to building the Alpine Xen ISO from scratch or if someone
>     might have the steps available that I could get and give it a try?
>
>     Any help would be greatly appreciated and have a great day,
>     Lonnie

<783d6ff4-4b39-45ba-8db1-0d17347ead14@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<f6e92799-fc6f-44b7-92a7-6b725d25ea41@outstep.com> (view parent)
It's a long time I don't build a custom ISO, so I dunno if things have
changed, but this is a starting point:

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_make_a_custom_ISO_image

leo

On 18/02/24 17:37, Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Actually, I am working on a modified Xen for security and
> fault-tolerance improvements using ideas from Xoar, and Dom0Less peer
> papers and want to build out a new Xen ISO based upon Alpine for
> various testing.
>
> With that in mind, I need to be able to easily build that ISO from
> scratch.
>
> Thanks
> Lonnie
>
> On 2/18/2024 11:31 AM, Leonardo Arena wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the already built Alpine XEN ISO does not suit your needs?
>>
>> https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.19/releases/x86_64/alpine-xen-3.19.1-x86_64.iso
>>
>> Cheers,
>> leo
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 5:25 PM Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD
>> <lonnie@outstep.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello All,
>>
>>     I have just started working with the Alpine Xen distro as I need
>>     a minimal size Xen that runs in RAM as a starting point on a project.
>>
>>     Being new to Alpine and have mostly used Ubuntu, CentOS, and a
>>     few others, I have a bit of experience in the Linux world, but
>>     just not a lot with Alpine but must say that I truly love the
>>     minimalist approach.
>>
>>     With that in mind, I would like to know if there is a developers
>>     link to building the Alpine Xen ISO from scratch or if someone
>>     might have the steps available that I could get and give it a try?
>>
>>     Any help would be greatly appreciated and have a great day,
>>     Lonnie

Dr. Lonnie Cumberland, PhD <lonnie@outstep.com>
<7fbd6b1e-ff88-4e46-9f77-9e76bb74c895@outstep.com>
In-Reply-To
<783d6ff4-4b39-45ba-8db1-0d17347ead14@gmail.com> (view parent)
Thanks Leo,

I'll start looking around at that point.

Not sure if the actual Alpine developers are on this list, but I do see
that the latest releases are:

Current Alpine Version 3.19.1 (Released Jan 26, 2024)

Maybe they have an automated script or something.

Thanks again and I will look into it more as well.
Cheers,
Lonnie

<f37ffd86-c9f2-495e-a41f-699e936f778c@outstep.com>
In-Reply-To
<783d6ff4-4b39-45ba-8db1-0d17347ead14@gmail.com> (view parent)
Hi Leo,

I think that I may have found it in the "Aports/scripts" directory

https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/tree/master/scripts

This seems to be it but an still investigating more.

Cheers,
Lonnie

On 2/18/2024 11:53 AM, Leonardo wrote:

> It's a long time I don't build a custom ISO, so I dunno if things have
> changed, but this is a starting point:
>
> https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_make_a_custom_ISO_image
>
> leo

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)