Procmail removal

<dc2f611b9ff72ee2ce9a3232a0efa8d1@dereferenced.org>
Hello,

I would like to remove Procmail from Alpine.  It is not maintained
upstream and FTBFS on at least mips64.  I have disabled procmail on
mips64 as I do not believe it is worth fixing.

Procmail's upstream maintainer states that Procmail has numerous
security defects and should be removed.  OpenBSD has removed it
already based on the security concerns.

Thoughts?

Ariadne
<20200122161651.7f168001@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<dc2f611b9ff72ee2ce9a3232a0efa8d1@dereferenced.org> (view parent)
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:45:43 +0000
"Ariadne Conill" <ariadne@dereferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to remove Procmail from Alpine.  It is not maintained
> upstream and FTBFS on at least mips64.  I have disabled procmail on
> mips64 as I do not believe it is worth fixing.
>
> Procmail's upstream maintainer states that Procmail has numerous
> security defects and should be removed.  OpenBSD has removed it
> already based on the security concerns.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea to nuke it.

Thanks!

-nc

> Ariadne
<f3571535afe098a0a2042bf9fb2d6abf@dereferenced.org>
In-Reply-To
<20200122161651.7f168001@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
Hello,

January 22, 2020 9:16 AM, "Natanael Copa" <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:45:43 +0000
> "Ariadne Conill" <ariadne@dereferenced.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to remove Procmail from Alpine. It is not maintained
>> upstream and FTBFS on at least mips64. I have disabled procmail on
>> mips64 as I do not believe it is worth fixing.
>>
>> Procmail's upstream maintainer states that Procmail has numerous
>> security defects and should be removed. OpenBSD has removed it
>> already based on the security concerns.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to nuke it.

Alright then -- if nobody raises any objection by end of day, I will
nuke it.

Ariadne
<20200122175637.iw2thf5gbf5j5cr5@wolfsden.cz>
In-Reply-To
<f3571535afe098a0a2042bf9fb2d6abf@dereferenced.org> (view parent)
Hello,

On 2020-01-22 15:20:32 +0000, Ariadne Conill wrote:
> Alright then -- if nobody raises any objection by end of day, I will
> nuke it.

I do use it for filtering pop3 mail on my laptop, so I would prefer if
it stayed in the repositories. If anyone can recommend similar solution
that I could just plug into getmail:

+   $ cat ~/.getmail/getmailrc | grep -A3 destination
[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/procmail

I'm guess I could switch to it.

Have a nice day,
W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

January 22, 2020 11:56 AM, "Wolf" <wolf@wolfsden.cz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 2020-01-22 15:20:32 +0000, Ariadne Conill wrote:
>
>> Alright then -- if nobody raises any objection by end of day, I will
>> nuke it.
>
> I do use it for filtering pop3 mail on my laptop, so I would prefer if
> it stayed in the repositories. If anyone can recommend similar solution
> that I could just plug into getmail:
>
> + $ cat ~/.getmail/getmailrc | grep -A3 destination
> [destination]
> type = MDA_external
> path = /usr/bin/procmail
>
> I'm guess I could switch to it.

OpenBSD has fdm which is basically a drop-in replacement for both
procmail and fetchmail.  I believe it is already available in
Alpine.

Ariadne
<20200124153652.07a71cf4@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<e8f0ff9ffe0fd25240a178933b5ffca1@dereferenced.org> (view parent)
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:15:13 +0000
"Ariadne Conill" <ariadne@dereferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> January 22, 2020 11:56 AM, "Wolf" <wolf@wolfsden.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On 2020-01-22 15:20:32 +0000, Ariadne Conill wrote:
> >
> >> Alright then -- if nobody raises any objection by end of day, I will
> >> nuke it.
> >
> > I do use it for filtering pop3 mail on my laptop, so I would prefer if
> > it stayed in the repositories. If anyone can recommend similar solution
> > that I could just plug into getmail:
> >
> > + $ cat ~/.getmail/getmailrc | grep -A3 destination
> > [destination]
> > type = MDA_external
> > path = /usr/bin/procmail
> >
> > I'm guess I could switch to it.
>
> OpenBSD has fdm which is basically a drop-in replacement for both
> procmail and fetchmail.  I believe it is already available in
> Alpine.

We have fdm now, in testing.

Thanks!

-nc
Nathan Angelacos <nangel@alpinelinux.org>
<73c8bc4b6eba5bf9d474cc5c83314ee42acc7766.camel@alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20200124153652.07a71cf4@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
On Fri, 2020-01-24 at 15:36 +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:

> > On 2020-01-22 15:20:32 +0000, Ariadne Conill wrote:
> > OpenBSD has fdm which is basically a drop-in replacement for both
> > procmail and fetchmail.  I believe it is already available in
> > Alpine.
>
> We have fdm now, in testing.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -nc