~alpine/users

1

Re: upgrade from 3.12.3 to 3.13.0

David Restall <dave@restall.net>
<20210122095509.arAVeSrMl%dave@restall.net>
Hi Dietmar,

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

seems to be the main problem.  Have you checked that /sbin/init exists ?

When the system boots, it loads a file system from a compressed image
into memory and boots from that then hands over to the installed OS.
Check that you have /sbin/init in both places - not too sure what the
best way to check in your situation is but on my box I'd look at the
contents of /boot/initramfs-lts.  Use :

gzip -dc /boot/initramfs-lts | cpio -t | grep init

to see if the file is present.  Mine returns :

alpine:~# gzip -dc /boot/initramfs-lts | cpio -t | grep init
init
lib/modules/5.4.84-0-lts/kernel/drivers/scsi/initio.ko
246716 blocks

so shows that init is in / rather than /sbin.

Also check that it's in the uncompressed image on the usb stick.  Mount
the image using - again not too sure what your situation is :-

mount /dev/WHATEVER_YOUR_USB_ROOT_PARTION_IS /mnt
ls -al /mnt/sbin

should show the file.

If it's not there, cp it in and see if it boots :-)

There are LOTS of ways this can be sorted, the above is probably not the
best, quickest or easiest but it should give you some idea of a starting
point.  Apologies,  if you have already tried this and the above is a
complete load of rubbish :-)

Regards,

lists/alpine/users/2021-01-22.tx                               alpineusers
| Dave Restall, Computer Anorak, Geek, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger  |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : dave@restall.net  - Anti-SocialMediaist -  Web : Not Ready Yet :-( |
+- QOTD ---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The Hollywood tradition I like best is called "sucking up to the stars."   |
|         -- Johnny Carson                                                   |

> Hi Natanael,
>
> thanks for your help, I was missing the lts (tried vanilla and virt).
> But unfortunately this doesn't change anything, it just takes 10 seconds =
>
> longer.
>
> Best
>    Dietmar
>
> On 1/22/21 8:20 AM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:25:04 +0100
> > Dietmar Rieder <dietmar.rieder@i-med.ac.at> wrote:
> >=20
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how to add this option?
> >=20
> > When you see the boot prompt "boot:"  you type: lts usbdelay=3D10
> >=20
> > -nc
> >=20
> >>
> >> Anyway, when the alpine is in the recovery shell ("/ #") I see that
> >> the USB stick /dev/sda is mounted. I also see the activity led
> >> flashing during the boot, so I guess the usb controller is
> >> initialized. I also see the # progress bar going to 100% (see [1]
> >> screenshot)
> >>
> >> I do not have such issues with older versions of Alpine.
> >>
> >> Best
> >>      Dietmar
> >>
> >> [1]:
> >> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mwY6iyx8sav_-Z4zcxnwSDobJljo8G9A/vie=
> w?usp=3Dsharing>

> ------------------------------
> ------------------------------

> >=20
>

> --=20
> D i e t m a r  R i e d e r, Mag.Dr.
> Innsbruck Medical University
> Biocenter - Institute of Bioinformatics
> Innrain 80, 6020 Innsbruck
> Phone: +43 512 9003 71402
> Fax: +43 512 9003 73100
> Email: dietmar.rieder@i-med.ac.at
> Web:   http://www.icbi.at
>

> --QvE63Fgt2rf4cxeY0PBFvt8Bu5amvWQAG--
>
> --ZLwSYbv2Vcz3SOPdkaYurxAEL2E80oNVM

> --ZLwSYbv2Vcz3SOPdkaYurxAEL2E80oNVM--

Re: upgrade from 3.12.3 to 3.13.0

<b2e16356-3317-c0ee-b6bc-75abf907b49a@i-med.ac.at>
In-Reply-To
<20210122095509.arAVeSrMl%dave@restall.net> (view parent)
Hi David,

thanks for all your suggestions. However I was not able to get the
upgrade to work. So I decided to start from scratch with 3.13.0 and
manually "restored" my 3.12.3 configuration, it didn't take all to long
after all.

Thanks again
   Dietmar

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)