~alpine/users

3 2

X11 QEMU/KVM screen resolution

<CAJ9OYL2PJhzZqRqgxQOHu=SCuj7eYwZMcscDYi+0C4Qv+=KD3Q@mail.gmail.com>
My maximum screen resolution in the (Alpine Linux) VM is stuck at 1024x768 ?

After having "googled" and finding myself chasing my own t(r)ail, have come
here for advice.

phase 1 :
- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 on Lenovo Carbon X1 (rev 5) and  X11, DWM,
KVM,...
- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 in a VM and X11, DWM, KVM,...
- installed Windows 10
=> everything worked fine (remote-viewer)

phase 2 :
- update/upgrade Alpine Linux v3.9 on host and guest
=> screen resolution on Alpine Linux VM limited to 1024x768, Windows 10 fine

experiments, experiments, experiments (several weeks of...)
- also upgraded everything to Alpine Linux 3.10, also tried edge, nothing
helps
- also tried installing another linux distro (in a VM), same problem

What stomps me is that Windows 10 VM is working fine (except for the one
time I installed the "latest and greatest" spice-guest-tools => also 1024 x
768)

Any help/pointers appreciated

Wim
Cosmo Borsky <me@cosmoborsky.com>
<D008B74C-B4D7-4E96-B522-2BD06C3929E8@cosmoborsky.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJ9OYL2PJhzZqRqgxQOHu=SCuj7eYwZMcscDYi+0C4Qv+=KD3Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
What kind of virtualization are you using? Qemu? VMware?
Check the video driver you are passing into the Alpine instance.
For example, I use `qxl` often with qemu.

On September 4, 2019 2:02:00 PM UTC, Wim Langers <wim.langers@adrias.biz> wrote:
>My maximum screen resolution in the (Alpine Linux) VM is stuck at
>1024x768 ?
>
>After having "googled" and finding myself chasing my own t(r)ail, have
>come
>here for advice.
>
>phase 1 :
>- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 on Lenovo Carbon X1 (rev 5) and  X11,
>DWM,
>KVM,...
>- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 in a VM and X11, DWM, KVM,...
>- installed Windows 10
>=> everything worked fine (remote-viewer)
>
>phase 2 :
>- update/upgrade Alpine Linux v3.9 on host and guest
>=> screen resolution on Alpine Linux VM limited to 1024x768, Windows 10
>fine
>
>experiments, experiments, experiments (several weeks of...)
>- also upgraded everything to Alpine Linux 3.10, also tried edge,
>nothing
>helps
>- also tried installing another linux distro (in a VM), same problem
>
>What stomps me is that Windows 10 VM is working fine (except for the
>one
>time I installed the "latest and greatest" spice-guest-tools => also
>1024 x
>768)
>
>Any help/pointers appreciated
>
>Wim
<CAJ9OYL2ebVo=w6SOrQQ4VDdw1T+pye7AjZRNeb7JFrf6KRjh2g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<D008B74C-B4D7-4E96-B522-2BD06C3929E8@cosmoborsky.com> (view parent)
I'm using KVM with Spice and QXL.  And it did work fine until I upgraded
Alpine (no other packages installed or anything changed otherwise)

Wim

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 4:27 PM Cosmo Borsky <me@cosmoborsky.com> wrote:

> What kind of virtualization are you using? Qemu? VMware?
> Check the video driver you are passing into the Alpine instance.
> For example, I use `qxl` often with qemu.
>
> On September 4, 2019 2:02:00 PM UTC, Wim Langers <wim.langers@adrias.biz>
> wrote:
>>
>> My maximum screen resolution in the (Alpine Linux) VM is stuck at
>> 1024x768 ?
>>
>> After having "googled" and finding myself chasing my own t(r)ail, have
>> come here for advice.
>>
>> phase 1 :
>> - installed Alpine Linux v3.9 on Lenovo Carbon X1 (rev 5) and  X11, DWM,
>> KVM,...
>> - installed Alpine Linux v3.9 in a VM and X11, DWM, KVM,...
>> - installed Windows 10
>> => everything worked fine (remote-viewer)
>>
>> phase 2 :
>> - update/upgrade Alpine Linux v3.9 on host and guest
>> => screen resolution on Alpine Linux VM limited to 1024x768, Windows 10
>> fine
>>
>> experiments, experiments, experiments (several weeks of...)
>> - also upgraded everything to Alpine Linux 3.10, also tried edge, nothing
>> helps
>> - also tried installing another linux distro (in a VM), same problem
>>
>> What stomps me is that Windows 10 VM is working fine (except for the one
>> time I installed the "latest and greatest" spice-guest-tools => also 1024 x
>> 768)
>>
>> Any help/pointers appreciated
>>
>> Wim

<CAJ9OYL3Yak3g9dCnq221CkTJS2EyATppeyV+_FUfuB7WXBnZSA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJ9OYL2ebVo=w6SOrQQ4VDdw1T+pye7AjZRNeb7JFrf6KRjh2g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Found the solution

try : replace (in the qemu command to fire up the vm) -vga qxl by -device
qxl-vga,max_outputs=1
close your eyes, click your heels 3 times and whisper "I  want to go home"

Wim

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 9:54 PM Wim Langers <wim.langers@adrias.biz> wrote:

> I'm using KVM with Spice and QXL.  And it did work fine until I upgraded
> Alpine (no other packages installed or anything changed otherwise)
>
> Wim
>
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 4:27 PM Cosmo Borsky <me@cosmoborsky.com> wrote:
>
>> What kind of virtualization are you using? Qemu? VMware?
>> Check the video driver you are passing into the Alpine instance.
>> For example, I use `qxl` often with qemu.
>>
>> On September 4, 2019 2:02:00 PM UTC, Wim Langers <wim.langers@adrias.biz>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> My maximum screen resolution in the (Alpine Linux) VM is stuck at
>>> 1024x768 ?
>>>
>>> After having "googled" and finding myself chasing my own t(r)ail, have
>>> come here for advice.
>>>
>>> phase 1 :
>>> - installed Alpine Linux v3.9 on Lenovo Carbon X1 (rev 5) and  X11, DWM,
>>> KVM,...
>>> - installed Alpine Linux v3.9 in a VM and X11, DWM, KVM,...
>>> - installed Windows 10
>>> => everything worked fine (remote-viewer)
>>>
>>> phase 2 :
>>> - update/upgrade Alpine Linux v3.9 on host and guest
>>> => screen resolution on Alpine Linux VM limited to 1024x768, Windows 10
>>> fine
>>>
>>> experiments, experiments, experiments (several weeks of...)
>>> - also upgraded everything to Alpine Linux 3.10, also tried edge,
>>> nothing helps
>>> - also tried installing another linux distro (in a VM), same problem
>>>
>>> What stomps me is that Windows 10 VM is working fine (except for the one
>>> time I installed the "latest and greatest" spice-guest-tools => also 1024 x
>>> 768)
>>>
>>> Any help/pointers appreciated
>>>
>>> Wim

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)