2 2

X11 QEMU/KVM screen resolution

Wim Langers
Details
Message ID
<CAJ9OYL2PJhzZqRqgxQOHu=SCuj7eYwZMcscDYi+0C4Qv+=KD3Q@mail.gmail.com>
DKIM signature
missing
My maximum screen resolution in the (Alpine Linux) VM is stuck at 1024x768 ?

After having "googled" and finding myself chasing my own t(r)ail, have come
here for advice.

phase 1 :
- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 on Lenovo Carbon X1 (rev 5) and  X11, DWM,
KVM,...
- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 in a VM and X11, DWM, KVM,...
- installed Windows 10
=> everything worked fine (remote-viewer)

phase 2 :
- update/upgrade Alpine Linux v3.9 on host and guest
=> screen resolution on Alpine Linux VM limited to 1024x768, Windows 10 fine

experiments, experiments, experiments (several weeks of...)
- also upgraded everything to Alpine Linux 3.10, also tried edge, nothing
helps
- also tried installing another linux distro (in a VM), same problem

What stomps me is that Windows 10 VM is working fine (except for the one
time I installed the "latest and greatest" spice-guest-tools => also 1024 x
768)

Any help/pointers appreciated

Wim
Cosmo Borsky
Details
Message ID
<D008B74C-B4D7-4E96-B522-2BD06C3929E8@cosmoborsky.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJ9OYL2PJhzZqRqgxQOHu=SCuj7eYwZMcscDYi+0C4Qv+=KD3Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
What kind of virtualization are you using? Qemu? VMware?
Check the video driver you are passing into the Alpine instance.
For example, I use `qxl` often with qemu.

On September 4, 2019 2:02:00 PM UTC, Wim Langers <wim.langers@adrias.biz> wrote:
>My maximum screen resolution in the (Alpine Linux) VM is stuck at
>1024x768 ?
>
>After having "googled" and finding myself chasing my own t(r)ail, have
>come
>here for advice.
>
>phase 1 :
>- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 on Lenovo Carbon X1 (rev 5) and  X11,
>DWM,
>KVM,...
>- installed Alpine Linux v3.9 in a VM and X11, DWM, KVM,...
>- installed Windows 10
>=> everything worked fine (remote-viewer)
>
>phase 2 :
>- update/upgrade Alpine Linux v3.9 on host and guest
>=> screen resolution on Alpine Linux VM limited to 1024x768, Windows 10
>fine
>
>experiments, experiments, experiments (several weeks of...)
>- also upgraded everything to Alpine Linux 3.10, also tried edge,
>nothing
>helps
>- also tried installing another linux distro (in a VM), same problem
>
>What stomps me is that Windows 10 VM is working fine (except for the
>one
>time I installed the "latest and greatest" spice-guest-tools => also
>1024 x
>768)
>
>Any help/pointers appreciated
>
>Wim
Wim Langers
Details
Message ID
<CAJ9OYL2ebVo=w6SOrQQ4VDdw1T+pye7AjZRNeb7JFrf6KRjh2g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<D008B74C-B4D7-4E96-B522-2BD06C3929E8@cosmoborsky.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
I'm using KVM with Spice and QXL.  And it did work fine until I upgraded
Alpine (no other packages installed or anything changed otherwise)

Wim