<f610141a0c23210852e93a054056dedd@cock.email>
In-Reply-To
<d4ac3e01da9866b51a47c6de8272f5df@cock.email> (view parent)
On 2021-01-26 13:32, giant@cock.email wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed the same thing. I've switched my VMs to using VNC as a
> temporary work-around.
>
> Looking at the build log and APKBUILD for qemu, I see there are two
> builds: build-static and build. Only the latter is built with Spice
> support. Maybe that is the issue? In any case I think it warrants a bug
> report.
>
> It also would have been nice if the changes here had been described in
> the release notes.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> John Longe

I installed some more packages and now it works. These things are in my
/etc/apk/world now:

libvirt-qemu
qemu-chardev-spice
qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu
qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu-pci
qemu-hw-usb-redirect
qemu-img
qemu-system-x86_64
qemu-ui-sdl
qemu-ui-spice-app
qemu-ui-spice-core

Not sure if there are superfluous things in there. In any case, this is
rather annoying.

Re: qemu - spice ?

<20210128233806.398147fa@ncopa-desktop.lan>
In-Reply-To
<f610141a0c23210852e93a054056dedd@cock.email> (view parent)
On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 19:17:24 +0000
giant@cock.email wrote:

> On 2021-01-26 13:32, giant@cock.email wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've noticed the same thing. I've switched my VMs to using VNC as a
> > temporary work-around.
> >
> > Looking at the build log and APKBUILD for qemu, I see there are two
> > builds: build-static and build. Only the latter is built with Spice
> > support. Maybe that is the issue? In any case I think it warrants a bug
> > report.
> >
> > It also would have been nice if the changes here had been described in
> > the release notes.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > John Longe
>
> I installed some more packages and now it works. These things are in my
> /etc/apk/world now:
>
> libvirt-qemu
> qemu-chardev-spice
> qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu
> qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu-pci
> qemu-hw-usb-redirect
> qemu-img
> qemu-system-x86_64
> qemu-ui-sdl
> qemu-ui-spice-app
> qemu-ui-spice-core
>
> Not sure if there are superfluous things in there. In any case, this is
> rather annoying.

this was due to commit
feb4aaf0bfc093ac5d122e9aef9ee43f6955629f community/qemu: upgrade to 5.2.0
https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/commit/?id=feb4aaf0bfc093ac5d122e9aef9ee43f6955629f

My local virt-manager stopped to work as well. A bit annoying indeed,
but on the other hand you can avoid pull in things you don't use.

Not sure how to properly solve this.

-nc

Re: qemu - spice ?

<389dc3f54011d4b7959f66db81cd96a6@cock.email>
In-Reply-To
<20210128233806.398147fa@ncopa-desktop.lan> (view parent)
On 2021-01-28 22:38, Natanael Copa wrote:
> this was due to commit
> feb4aaf0bfc093ac5d122e9aef9ee43f6955629f community/qemu: upgrade to
> 5.2.0
> https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/commit/?id=feb4aaf0bfc093ac5d122e9aef9ee43f6955629f
>
> My local virt-manager stopped to work as well. A bit annoying indeed,
> but on the other hand you can avoid pull in things you don't use.
>
> Not sure how to properly solve this.
>
> -nc

Guaranteed breakage upon upgrade isn't ideal.  I think there are three
possible better courses of action:

1) Have all the qemu package depend on all these small packages. This is
the least "Alpine-like" way of doing things, since it doesn't allow you
to avoid pulling in unnecessary things.

2) Have all the small packages be installed manually upon upgrade from
3.12 to  3.13 and leave it to the users to remove what they don't need.

3) Inform users in the release notes that manual intervention is
necessary.

I think we need a good write-up on the wiki of which packages are
required by which features. I didn't find one upstream, sadly...

As far as I've discovered:

* serial console:
	- qemu-chardev-spice

* graphics (using virtio driver):
	- qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu
	- qemu-hw-display-virtio-gpu-pci (possibly only for i440FX?)
	- qemu-hw-display-virtio-vga (I didn't even get a BIOS POST
	without this.)
	- qemu-ui-opengl

* Spice:
	- qemu-ui-spice-core (not required if using VNC)

* USB redirection:
	- qemu-hw-usb-redirect (pretty self explanatory)
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)