~alpine/aports

1

shadow 4.14 build errors on Alpine Linux

Alejandro Colomar <alx@alejandro-colomar.es>
<Zeyg8ClVMNeRifua@debian>

I've noticed both Alpine Linux has a patch
<fix-undefined-reference.patch> for shadow, and that Void Linux
considered picking it.

The most likely reason for that patch was the bug reported by Gentoo:
<https://github.com/shadow-maint/shadow/issues/791>
and fixed in 4.14.1:
<https://github.com/shadow-maint/shadow/pull/792>
<https://github.com/shadow-maint/shadow/pull/794>

We never knew why it failed.  It was an obscure problem with the
autotools-based build system.  But we fixed it with the big hammer.

Please drop that patch, since the issue has been fixed upstream.  And
please report any build errors upstream.

Have a lovely day!
Alex

---

See the release annotations, which document the fix:

	$ git show 4.14.1
	tag 4.14.1
	Tagger: Alejandro Colomar <alx@kernel.org>
	Date:   Mon Sep 25 18:00:29 2023 +0200

	shadow-4.14.1 (Casín) - shadow utils

	Bugfix release.  Changes since shadow-4.14.0:

	shadow-4.14.1:

	-  Build system:
>	   -  Merge libshadow and libmisc into a single libshadow.  This fixes
>	      problems in the linker, which were reported at least in Gentoo.

And also documented in 4.15.0:

	$ git show 4.15.0
	tag 4.15.0
	Tagger: Serge Hallyn <serge@hallyn.com>
	Date:   Fri Mar 8 16:06:06 2024 -0600

	Release 4.14.0: dubliner

	-  libshadow:
	   -  Use utmpx instead of utmp.  This fixes a regression introduced in
	      4.14.0.
	   -  Fix build error (parameter name omitted).
	-  Build system:
	   -  Link correctly with libdl.
	   -  Install pam configs for chpasswd(8) and newusers(8) when using
	      `./configure --with-libpam --disable-account-tools-setuid`.
>	   -  Merge libshadow and libmisc into a single libshadow.  This fixes
>	      problems in the linker, which were reported at least in Gentoo.
	   -  Fix build with musl libc.
	   -  Support out of tree builds
	-  useradd(8):
	   -  Set proper SELinux labels for def_usrtemplate

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
Alejandro Colomar <alx@kernel.org>

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)