Add ttfautohint to testing?

Steven Hum <sdothum@gmail.com>
<CQU9S4NNTYQB.1VS49NCR0IVL9@luna>
Freetype2 is in the stable repos. Would it be possible to have
ttfautohint added to the repos as well?

i have tried unsuccessfully to build it from source (both current and
older versions).. but obviously it likely can be built since the
freetype2 package exists.

Unfortunately, i have been unable to determine the cause of the make
failure.

Regards,
Steven Hum
<Y/45Qd/+CR4ZLFqM@ce636b1666f0>
In-Reply-To
<CQU9S4NNTYQB.1VS49NCR0IVL9@luna> (view parent)
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 09:35:58AM -0500, Steven Hum wrote:
> Freetype2 is in the stable repos. Would it be possible to have
> ttfautohint added to the repos as well?
>
> i have tried unsuccessfully to build it from source (both current and
> older versions).. but obviously it likely can be built since the
> freetype2 package exists.
>
> Unfortunately, i have been unable to determine the cause of the make
> failure.
>
> Regards,
> Steven Hum

Can you share what you tried and what errors you received? That would
make it easier to help rather than everone having to try it from
scratch.
Steven Hum <sdothum@gmail.com>
<CQUFUS14BLOI.2OYWW21E5B2VW@luna>
In-Reply-To
<Y/45Qd/+CR4ZLFqM@ce636b1666f0> (view parent)
i think i solved it..

Using the latest source version 1.8.4:

For some reason "make" fails if not executed by root.. (not sure why).
But config.h is not created unless doing so (permissions problem).

There was still an issue with the make which required injecting
"#define _Bool signed char" into lib/llrb.h (again, don't know why).

With that patch, and running make as root, the build completed.

It seems to work in the couple of Iosevka font builds i have tried -- at
least npm is not complaining.

Not a cozy feeling having to kludge the header file as a person who
knows nothing about the sw -- just that it is a dependency for my use
case. i am not well versed in makefiles and all that goes into packaging
a substantial app such as this.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Regards,
Steven

> Can you share what you tried and what errors you received? That would
> make it easier to help rather than everone having to try it from
> scratch.
<Y/5pjP7jBkOViEUW@ce636b1666f0>
In-Reply-To
<CQUFUS14BLOI.2OYWW21E5B2VW@luna> (view parent)
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 02:21:32PM -0500, Steven Hum wrote:
> i think i solved it..
>
> Using the latest source version 1.8.4:
>
> For some reason "make" fails if not executed by root.. (not sure why).
> But config.h is not created unless doing so (permissions problem).
>
> There was still an issue with the make which required injecting
> "#define _Bool signed char" into lib/llrb.h (again, don't know why).
>
> With that patch, and running make as root, the build completed.
>
> It seems to work in the couple of Iosevka font builds i have tried -- at
> least npm is not complaining.
>
> Not a cozy feeling having to kludge the header file as a person who
> knows nothing about the sw -- just that it is a dependency for my use
> case. i am not well versed in makefiles and all that goes into packaging
> a substantial app such as this.
>
> Thank you for responding so quickly.
>
> Regards,
> Steven

You could take a look at how it is being built for [archlinux][0] to get
an idea what you should do (not that not everything maps directly to
Alpine Linux, but you should get an idea.,

[0]:https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=ttfautohint
Steven Hum <sdothum@gmail.com>
<CQUJZPFWR5BT.2I4M7T7KNTK9@luna>
In-Reply-To
<Y/5pjP7jBkOViEUW@ce636b1666f0> (view parent)
Thanks for the suggestion.. (it has been eons since i have been on Arch
-- with Void between than and now Alpine :)

i didn't spot anything magical in the AUR spec. There were a few
./configure options passed but using those did not produce any different
results:

- non root make fails on the same config.h permissions issue (fails to
  get created)
- and running make as root fails on the undefined _Bool in the header
  file (which is defined elsewhere).

So i'm stumped on this one.. why it's not a straight build considering
the seemingly minor steps needed to create the binary. But i am far from
qualified to assess the package. Perhaps someone else can chime in..
i am still curious.

Steven

On Tue Feb 28, 2023 at 3:52 PM EST, Kevin Daudt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 02:21:32PM -0500, Steven Hum wrote:
> > i think i solved it..
> >
> > Using the latest source version 1.8.4:
> >
> > For some reason "make" fails if not executed by root.. (not sure why).
> > But config.h is not created unless doing so (permissions problem).
> >
> > There was still an issue with the make which required injecting
> > "#define _Bool signed char" into lib/llrb.h (again, don't know why).
> >
> > With that patch, and running make as root, the build completed.
> >
> > It seems to work in the couple of Iosevka font builds i have tried -- at
> > least npm is not complaining.
> >
> > Not a cozy feeling having to kludge the header file as a person who
> > knows nothing about the sw -- just that it is a dependency for my use
> > case. i am not well versed in makefiles and all that goes into packaging
> > a substantial app such as this.
> >
> > Thank you for responding so quickly.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Steven
> >

> You could take a look at how it is being built for [archlinux][0] to get
> an idea what you should do (not that not everything maps directly to
> Alpine Linux, but you should get an idea.,
>
> [0]:https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=ttfautohint
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)