~alpine/users

1

Re: issue with grafana alpine package config

Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
<CAD+eXGQ91CZ3wvJ4wHtQbBJsX29D9hi+r32nHMNphbEcpbXSjw@mail.gmail.com>
+ ~alpine/users

Hi.

>I just don't know how else to report this
Issues with packages are to be reported on gitlab
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues

>some values hard-coded into conf.d
conf.d files are supposed to be edited by admins. Removing that line
is the right solution for your problem.

>Would you be open to removing this line from the conf.d file?
It's not ok for unsecured services in default configuration to listen
on all interfaces. So no.

There were several considerations to put those settings in conf.d
instead of grafana.ini:
1. init.d script has to create data directories and set their
permissions, that means path to data dir needs to be a variable
(GRAFANA_HOME)
2. grafana.ini didn't support envvar expansion until 7.1 (or at least
it wasn't documented)
3. log.mode=syslog requires rc_need=logger. I like when related
settings are located together
4. all that leaves listen address, I decided not to patch config file
for that one option

It is possible to move those settings to grafana.ini, but it is a lot
of work for very little profit, as well as annoying "WARNING: please
migrate to new config file" for every single user of this package. And
I'm against migrating config in a backwards incompatible way.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 7:17 AM Sergio Valentini <savalentini@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey so sorry to bother you via email, I just don't know how else to report this.
> I noticed that your package has some values hard-coded into conf.d, like:
>
> cfg:server.http_addr=127.0.0.1
>

> So no matter what one puts on /etc/grafana.ini the server will only accept connections from itself.
>
> People who are not familiar with init.d may have a hard time figuring out why they can't connect to the server.
>
> Commenting this line out fixes the problem. Would you be open to removing this line from the conf.d file?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Sergio

Re: issue with grafana alpine package config

Sergio Valentini <savalentini@gmail.com>
<CADtgU8WNQUx5w-3-jFcYU5badb0NUJZdfuU55UVGnyE03jPj2Q@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAD+eXGQ91CZ3wvJ4wHtQbBJsX29D9hi+r32nHMNphbEcpbXSjw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hey thanks for taking the time to respond. Very informative, now I
understand the reasoning behind these choices.

Take care,

Sergio

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 5:55 AM Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
wrote:

> + ~alpine/users
>
> Hi.
>
> >I just don't know how else to report this
> Issues with packages are to be reported on gitlab
> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues
>
> >some values hard-coded into conf.d
> conf.d files are supposed to be edited by admins. Removing that line
> is the right solution for your problem.
>
> >Would you be open to removing this line from the conf.d file?
> It's not ok for unsecured services in default configuration to listen
> on all interfaces. So no.
>
> There were several considerations to put those settings in conf.d
> instead of grafana.ini:
> 1. init.d script has to create data directories and set their
> permissions, that means path to data dir needs to be a variable
> (GRAFANA_HOME)
> 2. grafana.ini didn't support envvar expansion until 7.1 (or at least
> it wasn't documented)
> 3. log.mode=syslog requires rc_need=logger. I like when related
> settings are located together
> 4. all that leaves listen address, I decided not to patch config file
> for that one option
>
> It is possible to move those settings to grafana.ini, but it is a lot
> of work for very little profit, as well as annoying "WARNING: please
> migrate to new config file" for every single user of this package. And
> I'm against migrating config in a backwards incompatible way.
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 7:17 AM Sergio Valentini <savalentini@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey so sorry to bother you via email, I just don't know how else to
> > I noticed that your package has some values hard-coded into conf.d, like:
> >
> > cfg:server.http_addr=127.0.0.1
> >

> > So no matter what one puts on /etc/grafana.ini the server will only
> accept connections from itself.
> >
> > People who are not familiar with init.d may have a hard time figuring
> out why they can't connect to the server.
> >
> > Commenting this line out fixes the problem. Would you be open to
> removing this line from the conf.d file?
> >

> > Thanks!
> >

> > Sergio

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)